Go Back   The Judgment of Paris Forum > 2005-2012 > 2010: January - December
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th December 2010   #1
HSG
Administrator

Default Katherine Roll: Seductive Softness

Aficionados of plus-size beauty have long awaited a new test from Katherine Roll, and now, at last, this curvaceous goddess has released the results of her shoot with noted plus-size-model photographer Nadine Raphael.

The pictures are beyond incredible--everything that fans have hoped for and more. In particular, Katherine has produced two of the most stunning headshots that any model has ever created.

Although plus-size fashion is distinguished by a number of fair-featured starlets, including Kelsey Olson and Charlotte Coyle, Katherine has a look and a modelling style that is all her own. Indeed, we have never seen any model create a headshot quite like this. Much as it embodies timeless beauty, this image is also truly original. In it, Katherine creates a fully-realized persona, a flesh-and-blood character whose exciting disposition vividly comes across on screen.

Her skin tone is exquisitely fair, and so soft as to appear pillow-like to the touch. Such a delicate physique creates the impression of childlike vulnerability. But Katherine's expression is anything but innocent. On the contrary, it is hungry and alluring, an almost carnal look of desire--yet in a way that is fashionably chic. Her eye colour may be a gentle baby blue, but the look in those eyes is rapacious and insatiable. Her lips are full (but naturally so, not exaggerated), while the velvety lip colour, and the slight part of the mouth, convey an impression of richness and sensuality--the look of a woman, not a girl. The hairstyle reinforces the captivating duality of innocence and seductiveness: the golden hair colour is angelic, but the hairstyle itself is wild and wanton. The supreme touch is the model's deft hand positioning, which effectively frames her facial features. By plunging her hands into her tresses, she communicates an intoxicating sense of her vanity, as if she were enraptured with her own appearance; yet at the same time her hand placement subconsciously enacts the viewer's own desire for tactile engagement. Desire, even greed--her demeanour conveys a multiplicity of such dark passions, yet the fairness of her features and her classically feminine beauty soften the effect with a whisper of youthful prettiness, creating a blend of impressions that is endlessly fascinating.

Click to enlarge

Katherine has appeared superlatively attractive in all of her images to date, but these headshots testify to a level of power and mastery in her modelling abilities that she has never revealed before, and that few girls can match. After all, her catwalk images required that she maintain a steady, even runway look, and her prom campaign showed her being fun and flirtatious--as is appropriate for modelling teen fashions. But in these steamy headshots, Katherine unleashes an entirely new dimension of her talent, a full-blown sensuality that is thrilling to view.

No faux-plus model could generate anything like the sensations that these images convey, because their fascination derives from the rich counterpoint between the delicate fullness of the model's features (conveying softness), and the dark allure of her demeanour (suggesting wild passions barely kept in check). We have never seen any model blend these characteristics in such a compelling manner, or stir such powerful emotions.

Click to enlarge

Miss Roll possesses one of the most gorgeous figures of any model in the industry, a truly goddesslike physique that fans have admired in her images from FFFWeek, from Aurora Formals, and from her personal candids. Given that her size-positive credentials are so well established, the following pair of images do something new, beyond merely demonstrating her luscious curves. They show how effective Katherine is at modelling the body-conscious look of contemporary plus-size design. The model's gorgeous proportions form her perfectly fitted dress into a beautiful, womanly shape. She appears trim enough for even the most conservative client, yet at the same time she is indisputably a true plus-size model, one whose figure effectively shows curvy clientele how they would appear in a similar garment. The point of greatest interest, though, is Katherine's expression--a dreamy, faraway gaze that is completely convincing and sincere. Not only is it a lovely look, but it effectively displays the doll-like beauty of her facial features.

Click to enlarge

The dress for these images was well chosen, as one that is contemporary in design, but benefits from romantic embellishment. Its abbreviated length affords Miss Roll the opportunity to show off her shapely legs. Furthermore, Katherine is celebrated as having possibly the most gorgeous arms of any model in the industry, and while these images do not focus on her arms, their soft shapeliness is still visible. Sleeveless designs are always an ideal choice for full-figured goddesses, and with this one-strap design, Katherine enjoys all of the benefits of strapless dresses (i.e., the fact that they show off a model's neck-and-shoulder area, which in Miss Roll's case is especially pretty, as it is soft and free of any visible clavicle), yet at the same time, she gains the decorative potential of a strap across the shoulder, which can feature a romantic trim such as this.

Click to enlarge

The final look, undoubtedly chosen to provide some variety in the model's book, shows her in a contemporary, urban outfit. Even in this ensemble, the model's superlative beauty shines through. The low cut of the top offers a hint of sensuality, while the earrings introduce a welcome touch of femininity.

Click to enlarge

Miss Roll is easily one of the two or three most gorgeous models in the industry today, and as her career progresses, she is sure to become one of the most popular as well. With these new images, she reveals a depth to her modelling talent that she has never disclosed before--particularly an ability to explore rich, dark emotions while remaining astoundingly beautiful.

Katherine's first test for MSA (her New York agency) has proven to be a stunning success. We eagerly look forward to her next shoots, and to more examples of this goddess's extraordinary talent.

- Katherine Roll gallery

HSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2010   #2
M. Lopez

Default Re: Katherine Roll: Seductive Softness

*Gasp*

I nearly fell out of my chair when I saw these. I immediately had to show them to several friends, because they're breathtaking.

Katherine's eyes remind me of Barbara Brickner's. She has a feline quality in her eyes. But it's even more penetrating, because the eyes are blue.

In the headshots, she looks as soft as a cloud, yet her attitude is fiery. I don't know when I've seen headshots so beautiful. She's hypnotizing...

She and Kelsey are definitely my two favorite models in the industry today. I want to see her working for every plus-size company there is.

The MSA plus-size division is called "Goddess," right? Well, no model deserves that title more than Katherine. Purrrrfect!
M. Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2010   #3
HSG
Administrator

Having thrilled viewers with her high-temperature headshots, Miss Roll now unveils a figure photograph that is every bit as stunning. This is one of the finest figure shots that she has yet created. The outfit discloses her celebrated, shapely arms and offers a glimpse of buxom decolletage. The dress lovingly conforms to her every sumptuous curve. She appears regal and commanding, her imposing beauty inspiring a sensation of awe. The fur vest gives the image a primordial quality, as if she were a Viking queen presiding over her royal court, a legendary empress of the past, celebrated for her stately beauty throughout the Northern kingdoms, the subject of bards' hymns and poets' songs. Her magnificent updo adds to the majestic effect, and subconsciously evokes the idea of a crown. (This, incidentally, is yet another reason why full-figured goddesses must always grow out their hair to glorious lengths--so that even when they wear it up, the hairstyle still exhibits sufficient volume to balance the model's luscious proportions.)

The bracelets and ornate ring add opulence to the outfit, harmonizing with the luxuriance of the model's physique, and further informing the suggested narrative of the image--as if these items of jewellery were spoils of war that Norse heroes had presented to Katherine in an attempt to win her favour.

Once again, Miss Roll's technique is exemplary. The vanity and self-assurance in her demeanour are perfectly chosen to complement the imperial pose, and heighten the aristocratic effect in a way that a milder expression could not have done. She appears impassive, as if waiting to see what new feats of daring, or lavish gifts, her suitors will offer in an attempt to earn her affections. The quality of supreme confidence that so many of Katherine's fans have admired is much in evidence here. She appears calmly secure in her attractions, knowing full well that she is one of the most beautiful women in the world. She would even be intimidating, were it not for the touches of softness about her look that add a hint of vulnerability to her resplendent stature.

Click to enlarge

One must also offer the photographer an enthusiastic round of applause. In Katherine's headshots, Nadine Raphael captured a rich complexity of emotion and showcased the model's facial beauty as never before. In this figure photograph, she presents Miss Roll in a sculptural pose that evokes the substantiality of Classical art.

Katherine's loveliness is matched only by her prodigious modelling talent. Her every new image is a masterpiece of timeless beauty.

(You may click on any of the images in this thread to view them at a larger size.)

HSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2010   #4
Kaitlynn

Let the Brazilian beauties eat their hearts out! In Katherine, we have a goddess right here in North America who is as gorgeous as any model in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSG
The quality of supreme confidence that so many of Katherine's fans have admired is much in evidence here. She appears calmly secure in her attractions, knowing full well that she is one of the most beautiful women in the world.

Yes, I agree completely. This is one of the reasons why I find Katherine so inspiring. She has a kind of quiet authority in her physical being, a certainly about her rich curves. Looking at her pictures, you really believe that a plus-size figure is the ideal womanly figure; that no woman could possibly want to have anything less than Katherine's luscious curves. Yet that baby-faced beauty of hers also involves you in her pictures and makes you want to spoil her and adore her.

I pray that she never diminishes herself.

My favourite pictures are the first headshot at the top of the thread, and of course, the sculptural seated photo that was just added, which made my jaw drop, it's so artistic and gorgeous. These are as beautiful as any images I've ever seen before, from anyone.
Kaitlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2010   #5
Emily

The headshots are heavenly, while the fur-vest image is the most important.

One of the main reasons why Katherine is such a perfect plus-size model is because she is shapely in every aspect of her figure. Many plus-size models have, for example, curvy figures but unfortunately tiny legs, or thin arms, or narrow faces. They're still attractive, but these straight-size features aren't relatable.

Katherine, on the other hand, is supremely gorgeous because she is curvy all over. She has full facial features, rounded arms, a generous figure, and shapely legs. She is a plus-size beauty in every element of her physique, which makes her an ideal representative for curvaceous women. The comparison to sculpture is very appropriate, I think (and Katherine would make a perfect model for a sculpture of Aphrodite), because Nature formed her figure into ideally curvaceous proportions. Rather than an off-puttingly artificial, "toned" look, she appears soft and natural, and it's that untoned softness that makes supremely beautiful.

Whenever companies wonder what types of models their customers wish to see, Kelsey and Katherine are the examples I would immediately cite.
Emily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2010   #6
Chad

Katherine's beauty has always been astounding, but I never realized just how versatile a model she was, or how editorial her look could be. In the parlance of the industry, we all knew that she could do unsurpassable commercial work, but these pictures show that she is just as proficient at editorial - that she can take on a chic, editorial look when required (yet without sacrificing her full-figured beauty).

And as for full-blown seductiveness, well, that seated image is one of the most luscious pictures I've ever seen of any plus-size model. But what also makes it so unique is the serenity of Katherine's demeanor. There is a hint of vulnerability in the eyes, which is a much more creative choice on her part than doing a more obvious, "raw" pose.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2010   #7
Meredith

I love all of the images in this test, especially the steamy headshots. But for me, there's no question as to which is the most gorgeous picture of all: the exquisite seated photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSG

Click to enlarge

I've returned to this thread several times to admire these celebratory images, and that one in particular, because it showcases Katherine's lush figure so gorgeously. I kept thinking that it reminded me of a painting, and just now I recalled which one: the famous Blonde Bather by Renoir, which may be the most beautiful painting he ever created.

http://www.judgmentofparis.com/pina.../renoir03-2.htm

As others have noted, plus-size models often look most attractive when photographers reference great masterpieces from the past, because those paintings were designed to showcase full-figured womanly beauty, so the models were posed in such a way as to lovingly exhibit their curvaceous figures, which the artists worshipped.

Katherine's pose in her stunning seated image recalls that of Aline Charigot in Renoir's idyllic masterpiece. True, Aline wears her golden hair down, while Katherine's is pinned up, but the angle is the same (just from the opposite side) and the pose, and the way in which it exhibits the figure, is very similar.

Miss Roll is one of the most beautiful plus-size models of all time, so it's fitting that she should echo one of the most celebrated full-figured goddesses in the history of art.

I hope Katherine will release more pictures from this inspiring test.
Meredith is offline   Reply With Quote