The Judgment of Paris Forum

Go Back   The Judgment of Paris Forum > 2005-2012 > 2005: July - December
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th November 2005   #1
MelanieW

Default Barbara - Holiday collection at Reitmans

Reitmans has just produced its new winter collection, and once again they show Barbara looking more gorgeous than ever. Im really captivated by this image -

I dont know if its just the lighting, but it looks like Barbara adopted blonde highlights or lighter hair for this shoot, and I think it look amazing on her. (I think she could even be the most beautiful blonde-haired model in the industry too, if she wanted to try that look.) With that candy-pink lipstick, she looks so fresh and pretty.

And I just adore the way the sweater fits on her. The close fit shows how you can take an ordinary piece and make it look curve-flattering. If the sweater were loose, it would look dull, but the snug fit makes it very attractive.

But for the most exciting image of Barbara this season, you have to see the new Reitmans flyer, which you can access from the page below. Theres a picture of Barbara in a sleeveless top that is just breathtaking.

http://www.reitmans.com/en/interactive/
MelanieW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2005   #2
Kaitlynn

Default Re: Barbara - Holiday collection at Reitmans

Here's the image that really captivates me:

There's something magical and enchanting about it. So perfect for Christmas! And fairer hair and pink accents give Barbara an ideal winter look. She is "a model for all seasons."

http://www.reitmans.com/en/style/sp...e.cfm?brandID=2
Kaitlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2005   #3
Chad

I agree that those images are gorgeous, and the sleeveless shot in the flyer is the most alluring of all. But when I saw this photo - which is a little sassy, especially for Reitmans - a comment that Christina Schmidt made in her most recent interview came to mind:

"And jeans always look wicked on girls with curves. And tank tops…I think curves are in. I think girls with curves have an advantage."

I think this photo proves it. No man would deny that Barbara looks much sexier in her jeans than her underweight counterparts do.

Curvy girls do have an advantage.

I'm also delighted that of the three models, Barbara is the one who was asked to look towards the camera. Reitmans knows she's the prettiest one.......
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2005   #4
M. Lopez

All of those images are lovely, but Reitmans just released the second batch of its Holiday 2005 series, and they are even more incredible. I suspect that Reitmans considers it a special challenge to be able to photograph Barbara Brickner better than anyone else. And one look at this image makes me think that they have once again succeeded in doing so:

I actually gasped when I saw it. Barbara looks more a goddess here than ever - and that's saying something. Moreover, the Reitmans Encore fashions have never before been this feminine, or this becoming on a womanly figure.

I'm genuinely awestruck by Barbara's beauty, more so than ever before.

http://www.reitmans.com/en/style/co...D=487&brandID=2
M. Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2005   #5
Emily

On numerous occasions, people have posted texts from past centuries which have indicated that historically, the shapeliness of women's arms were considered alluring in the way that legs are, today. Barbara's images make that aesthetic belief comprehensible.

And I definitely agree that the styling in the Reitmans images is much improved over previous years. The goddesslike necklace in this image adds so much to the outfit.

Wasn't there a magazine article posted here recently, which conceptualized a woman's decolletage as a canvas, on which a woman could effectively "paint," with a beaded necklace? I think the above image shows how well this can be accomplished. Lovely top, too. And Barbara's complexion looks particularly radiant in this series.

I happened to look through the other sections of the Reitmans site as well, and smiled when I saw this image in the straight-size section:

It's too bad that Reitmans didn't have the audcacity to feature a theme such as this in the Encore section, as a visual expression of "delicious curves."

But the last image, which Ms. Lopez posted, is easily the best of the entire Holiday campaign. To view it at a larger size, you should see the newest Reitmans flyer, which is available at online in .pdf form:

http://www.reitmans.com/pdf/Flyer17_E.pdf
Emily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2005   #6
HSG
Administrator

Default The Crowning of a Goddess

Reitmans has always produced noteworthy campaigns, but their Fall and Winter 2005 promotions have been truly exceptional. Barbara herself--as so many have noted--is at the peak of her beauty. And the outfits demonstrate that the "New Femininity" is influencing even mainstream retailers, and is prompting them to offer more sensual and timeless apparel.

Below is another look at the image that Emily posted. In this larger version, from the .pdf flyer, we see that one of Barbara's admirers has positioned a spring of mistletoe over her head, in an attempt to steal a kiss. (And who can blame him, the poor fellow?)

But one can also interpret the spring of green above the model as a kind of symbolic crown, such as we see in Old Master paintings, which often feature a laurel wreath held aloft above the head of a goddess. Here, for example, in a detail image from Hendrick van Balen's interpretation of The Judgment of Paris (1599), a group of Putti hold a garland above the head of Venus:

Likewise, in a detail from Sebastiano Ricci's Bacchus and Ariadne (c.1713), we see Ariadne about to crowned with a natural wreath by Cupid:

And this element appears in Christian iconography as well; e.g., in this detail from Jan Bruegel the Elder's The Holy Family with a Crown of Flowers (1620), showing the eponymous crown held above the Virgin Mary by cherubs:

Thus, the natural crown positioned above Barbara implicitly confirms her status as the reigning divinity of plus-size models, the "fairest of them all," dressed in a lovely top that frames the Classical perfection of her figure.

Like so many of Barbara's images, it is a masterpiece worthy of a magazine cover--or to be framed and displayed in a gallery, for all the world to admire.

HSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2005   #7
MelanieW

This flyer came in with my newspaper today. It has an "Encore 14+" tab at the side, so the flyer automatically opens to that page, and right there, there is Barbara in a full-page version of the "mistletoe" image, looking like the ultimate incarnation of womanly beauty. I bet anyone who sees this flyer instantly becomes a "convert" to timeless beauty. How could they not?

My only regret is that the gorgeous, elaborate necklace that Barbara is wearing in the image that Emily posted is not offered by Reitmans. Its such a work of art in its own right, and goes so well with that top. I was hoping to match the look.
MelanieW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2005   #8
HSG
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieW
I bet anyone who sees this flyer instantly becomes a "convert" to timeless beauty. How could they not?

Now that brings up an interesting question: how many people do see the Reitmans flyers that are inserted in newspapers nationwide, here in Canada? Add that to the number of customers who pick them up in the Reitmans stores, and the total must be rather significant.

In lieu of an actual plus-size periodical, widely-distributed, magazine-size circulars such as these are the next-best thing, and surely do their part in helping foster public appreciation of plus-size beauty. Bravo to Reitmans for publishing them on a regular basis, and for featuring the Encore line so promimently, and with such size-positive imagery.

Barbara in a recent Reitmans flyer:

- Click here to visit the newest Barbara Brickner gallery

HSG is offline   Reply With Quote