The Judgment of Paris Forum

Go Back   The Judgment of Paris Forum > 2005-2012 > 2011: January - December
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th February 2011   #1
Pamela

Default Amber Riley in Essence magazine

I don't really keep up with pop culture, so I confess that I had no idea who Amber Riley was when I came upon an article today about a photoshoot that she just completed for Essence magazine.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...mber-Riley.html

I was inclined to be skeptical, because usually when magazines photograph plus-size actresses (what few of them there are), the publications shoot them in formless styles, or more often, Photoshop away any trace of their curves, so they end up looking like faux-plus models. Very disappointing.

But this shoot was obviously very different. The picture that was included with the Mail article shows the actress looking very buxom, flaunting her voluptuousness for the camera. It even acknowledges her generous, womanly hips. Plus, she looks truly delighted with herself. A fine photo.

But wait - it gets better. The article also comes with a behind-the-scenes video that Essence took, showing the making of the editorial. One shot of Amber is so sensual that I had to take a screencap of it. If Essence doesn't put this in its magazine, they'll miss an amazing opportunity. Heck, this should be the magazine's cover. This picture is gorgeous.

Aren't these pics absolutely perfect? Talk about a celebration of plus-size beauty. The sinfully red dress is strapless and sleeveless, showing off her round arms. Better still, it tightly embraces her luscious waist, defining the sumptuous fullness of her middle. Her figure looks soft and sensually untoned; the curves are plainly visible. Bravo to Essence, the photographer, and the stylist for not disfiguring her body either digitally or with unnecessary structure, but showcasing her well-fed opulence.

I also love the languid, indolent pose.

Plus-size models and stylists could take a cue from these amazing red-dress photos when styling their own shoots, by adopting wardrobe and poses that so lovingly showcase natural, feminine curves.
Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011   #2
tkds

Default Re: Amber Riley in Essence magazine

There is a "behind the scenes" video which shows Ms. Riley wearing several more flattering outfits. She seems to be a natural model and strikes some quite seductive poses.
tkds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2011   #3
vargas

Default Re: Amber Riley in Essence magazine

I'm glad that Essence magazine did not follow the norm and Photoshop her body into something it obviously isn't. Like you, Pamela, I tend to look at mainstream magazines of this sort with skepticism, but they did a wonderful job with this photo shoot with Amber. I think that the red dress in the second photo is especially becoming on her. However slow the changing attitudes towards plus-size beauty may be, it shows that there is promise out there. Miss Riley looks lovely.
vargas is offline   Reply With Quote