The Judgment of Paris Forum

Go Back   The Judgment of Paris Forum > 2005-2012 > 2005: July - December
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th November 2005   #1
Kaitlynn

Default ''Delicious Curves''

I just had to share news about this terrific new line of jeans that's coming out aimed specifically at fuller-figured girls called (can you believe it?).......Delicious Curves.

That has to be the best promotional title since "Sexy girls have dessert."

There's a whole press release about it here:

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/s...04211716&EDATE=

but here's the main idea behind this promotion:

"This sexy line, designed especially to flatter the curvy girl aged 15 to 24, features the renowned Mudd fit and flare, comes in seventeen (17) designs and features fabulous embellishments such as crystals, lace trim, embroidery" etc.

The line has its own website:

http://www.deliciouscurves.com/

which features some of its promotions, including posters that have the tag line (are you ready for this?):

"Live life deliciously!"

That's pure genius! The only drawback is that they are currently using one of those not-even-faux-plus celebrities to be the company face. They obviously should have used a plus-size model! But on the upside, the company is also running a contest for girls to send in photos of themselves by cellphone cam, and the winners get to be "Delicious Curves" models. I hope they allow some plus-size girls to win, especially since the line is aimed at curvier customers.

But still, I love the sauciness of the name, "Delicious Curves." It reflects the spirit of body love that Christina Schmidt expresses in her interviews. I hope it helps young girls free themselves of media brainwashing, and enjoy many "Delicious Desserts" to acquire "Delicious Curves."

And the call to "Live life deliciously" is the best interpretation of "La dolce vita" I've ever heard.
Kaitlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2005   #2
HSG
Administrator

Default ''Live life deliciously''

Apart from the too-thin spokesmodel, the promotion is utterly brilliant. It encourages a sense of freedom in young women that is very much needed, in contemporary society.

The only questions is, why are plus-size retailers not coming up with campaigns as brilliant as this?

The association of beauty with "living deliciously," and with having a "generous" appetite, may seem quite bold and audacious in contemporary society, which has made a virtue out of self-imposed suffering, and entrenched a standard of deathlike emaciation. But from a historical perspective, feminine beauty has always been associated with "delicious curves"--and with the healthy self-indulgence that make them possible.

In 1596, the Elizabethan poet Edmund Spenser--a contemporary of Shakespeare--completed his magnum opus, The Faerie Queene. The longest canonical poem in English literature, Spenser's Arthurian fantasy-epic exerted a profound influence on Milton, on the Romantics, and most profoundly, on J.R.R. Tolkein.

In the third book of the poem, the goddess Venus encounters Diana, a woodland deity, in the midst of a sunlit glade. The famously chaste Diana upbraids Venus for her lavish lifestyle, to which Venus replies:

As you in woods and wanton wilderness
Your glory set, to chase the savage beasts,
So my delight is all in joyfulness,
In beds, in bowers, in banquets, and in feasts:

And ill becomes you with your lofty crests,
To scorn the joy, that Jove is glad to seek;
We both are bound to follow heaven's behests. (III.vi.22)

So while today, when we hear actresses enthusing "I love rich foods and I have an insatiable appetite" (in the manner of Kelly Brook), or when we see campaigns encouraging curvy vixens to "Live life deliciously" and to enjoy "a generous life," these assertions seem daring and transgressive.

But in any century prior to our own, the connection between feminine allure and appetite would have been a familiar motif from Classical literature, and would have been regarded as one of the timeless attributes of the goddess of Beauty--with her acknowledged delight in "banquets, and in feasts."

Rubens, Venus and Adonis (c.1614):

Last edited by HSG : 10th November 2005 at 04:21.
HSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2005   #3
Emily

Default Re: ''Delicious Curves''

What I especially love about all of the publicity surrounding this line is that there is not one mention of these jeans being "slimming," as if that were some sort of aesthetic ideal. Rather, it's an encouragement for young women to appreciate their "delicious curves" (getting them, having them, or keeping them).

What's also interesting is something I've noticed in other contexts as well. People tend to think of companies as "bad" (i.e., out to exploit), and the media as "good" (working for public benefit). But when it comes to women and body-love, it's the exact opposite. True, all of the diet/gym corporations are utterly malicious; but, there are a number of companies like this, which are quietly sending out body-positive and food-positive messages. "Live life deliciously" is as wonderful a message as I can think of, right up there with the best of Addition-Elle's "Make a Statement" slogans, like "Curves are the body's natural art."

*Sigh* If only they had used a plus-size model.......

Barbara makes even Nordstrom's casual wear look appealing.
Emily is offline   Reply With Quote