The Judgment of Paris Forum

Go Back   The Judgment of Paris Forum > 2005-2012 > 2011: January - December
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th March 2011   #1
Morganza

Default Charlotte Coyle in NYC

Beloved plus-size model Charlotte Coyle and her roomates Mark and Lara escaped with the clothes on their backs as their Queens apartment building turned into a five alarm blaze yesterday. The building is gutted.

Charlotte lost everything. As the building was evacuated at 7AM, she was on the street in her pajamas, slippers and a bath robe. All her worldy posessions have been destroyed.

Anyone who has the ability to donate is asked to please do so. Items such as clothes, make up, toiletries, costume jewelry are appreciated as she has nothing.

Charlotte is a 18 in dresses and a 9.5 in shoes. Her bra size is 40DD. Items may be sent to:

Charlotte Coyle
C/O Sissy McGintys
2567 Steinway Street
Astoria, NY 11103
U.S.A.

Here is a link to a fundraising page for the Charlotte, Mark & Lara:

http://www.facebook.com/update_secu...150109990911887

Any and all help is so appreciated.

Last edited by HSG : 30th March 2011 at 18:25. Reason: Link hyperlinked
Morganza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2011   #2
Maureen

Default Re: Charlotte Coyle in NYC

Thank you for sharing this information, Morganza. Losing one's home to fire is devastating, emotionally and financially. I was burned out of my building in 2002 and could not have made it without the kindness of friends. My deep sympathies to Miss Coyle and her roommates.
Maureen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2011   #3
Morganza

I reached out to a number of companies that Charlotte has modelled for and Torrid responded with lightening speed and are sending out clothes to her this week. Beth at Torrid is an angel and they are a fantastic company.
Old 31st March 2011   #4
Pamela

There's a write-up about the fire here:

http://www.whyleaveastoria.com/prof...update-flo-cafe

Thank goodness Charlotte herself escaped without injury, although it's tragic that she lost all of her worldly possessions. Saddest of all would be if she lost any irreplaceable keepsakes. But the most precious gift is that she herself escaped unharmed.

Morganza identifies that Miss Coyle is a size 18 - all the more reason to do what we can for her, because we need genuinely curvy models such as herself representing us. These plus-size models do so much for the self-esteem of curvy girls everywhere. This is a rare chance to give back.
Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011   #5
Morganza

Here is the poster we have started to distribute in the area with information regarding the benefit we will be hosting in Astoria on April 17, 2011.

Link to a larger version:

http://i54.tinypic.com/jpixyp.png
Old 4th April 2011   #6
Chad

Apparently, there is also a smaller, preliminary fundraiser this evening:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.ph...206181566076161

Quote:
Monday, April 4 · 7:00pm - 10:00pm
Mix Cafe + Lounge
40-17 30th ave
Astoria, NY

It's a shame that it isn't taking place under better circumstances, but this would a rare opportunity to meet Miss Coyle in person, and in the process help her out.

The newspaper in Charlotte's home town of Derry, Ireland ran an article about the near-tragedy:

http://www.derryjournal.com/news/lo...ire_ 1_2563412

A few excerpts, alternatively moving and harrowing:

Quote:
A Derry woman whose New York apartment was gutted in a massive fire says she feels “blessed and lucky to be alive.”

“The fire burned for ten hours. A restaurant across the street let us in. It was so scary watching nature eat our home,” she said.

“I’m so so lucky to be alive. I lost everything, the only thing I have left are the pyjamas I was wearing. I just thank God that I’m safe and that my friends are safe.

The fire made headlines all over New York where it was categorised as a “four alarm” meaning that 39 fire engines had to attend the scene.

Derry girl Charlotte said it was devastating to see her personal belongings destroyed.

“I can’t believe this happened. I’ve built up such a life for myself here but I know I’m lucky to be alive,” she says

It's a relief to know that Charlotte has so many good friends in North America who have been willing to assist her in a pinch.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011   #7
Morganza

Thank you for posting the link to the Derry Journal article, Chad.