The Judgment of Paris Forum

Go Back   The Judgment of Paris Forum > 2005-2012 > 2011: January - December
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th May 2011   #1
Chad

Default Mayara Russi, New York

KauÍ Modas has just released a new look book called "New York, New York," featuring size-20 goddess Mayara Russi.

http://www.kauemodas.com.br/2010/ny.htm

Unfortunately, the company could not afford to fly Mayara herself to New York for a shoot (although that would have been wonderful!), so KauÍ had to content itself with a skyscraper backdrop.

Needless to say, Mayara looks stunning in this red sweater. She adopts that most captivating of all curvy-model poses: playing with her tresses.

Both the red-sweater image and this shot of Mayara in a grey pullover indicate a sensual, rounded swell at her waist.

The next photos were clearly conceived as part of Mayara's autumn campaign for KauÍ Modas, as the company's previous look books of the season have shown her against this same railway backdrop.

She looks so opulent and passionate in this close-up, so lavishly well-fed.

Another shot of Mayara in a fitted sweater suggests the luxurious fullness around her middle.

Gorgeous new images of one of the industry's most curvaceous and popular stars. A fine achievement both for Mayara and for this dynamic Brazilian label.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011   #2
Emily

Default The tragedy of Penn Station

Browsing through the look book, I was also struck by this image:

That magnificent, cathedral-like iron canopy is a portion of the legendary Penn Station, constructed in 1910. It was one of the most magnificent buildings ever to rise in North America.

Penn Station was the hub of the Pennsylvania Railroad -- so in this look book, KauÍ is continuing the railway theme that has recurred in many of its earlier publications this season, starting with that fine campaign showing Mayara in the picturesque old railyard. In fact, if you look at the rail car shown in the backdrop behind Mayara in this and previous KauÍ look books, the label clearly reads Pennsylvania Railroad. I marvel at how KauÍ has tied all of these elements together -- railways, the Pennsylvania Railroad, and Penn Station -- in its look books.

Unforgivably, Penn Station was demolished in the 1960s as part of the Bolshevik sweep of Modernism to make way for two grim, soulless, modernist boxes of concrete and glass.

In 1999, Ric Burns filmed a magisterial seven-hour documentary on the history of New York, by far the most moving and poignant segment of which was that which covered the tragic destruction of Penn Station. This video is a must see:

The theme of this video dovetails perfectly with the topic of the Judgment of Paris. The way in which the traditional, noble beauty of Penn Station was demolished to make way for constructions of ugly, utilitarian modernism horribly parallels the way in which the ideal of timeless, full-figured feminine beauty was displaced in favour of the androgynous, skeletal look of the modern fashion model.
Emily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2011   #3
Karsten

Default Re: The tragedy of Penn Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily
In 1999, Ric Burns filmed a magisterial seven-hour documentary on the history of New York, by far the most moving and poignant segment of which was that which covered the tragic destruction of Penn Station. This video is a must see.

I agree. The video that Emily posted is devastating, and every reader of this forum should view it.

In Europe, many magnificent buildings akin to Penn Station were demolished in the 20th century, but Europe had an excuse - their destruction was due to war damage.

But no bombs ever hit Penn Station. It was never shelled. It was destroyed by something even more ruinous than combat weaponry: sheer human malice against beauty, and the levelling impulse (literally levelling, in this case) that infests some people's hearts, and that they have exercised against anything great that Western culture has created.

The comparison to the fate of timeless feminine beauty at the hands of the modernists is spot on.

On a brighter note, I found a stunning swimwear image of Mayara Russi from FWPS 2010 and thought I'd share it:

May her beauty, at least, endure.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/camila...in/photostream/
Karsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011   #4
Hannah

Default Re: The tragedy of Penn Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karsten
On a brighter note, I found a stunning swimwear image of Mayara Russi from FWPS 2010

I can happily add one more item from last year's Fashion Weekend Plus Size to this thread - a Brazilian news report of the time. Mayara appears at 0.31 and 0.48, wearing a devilishly alluring hairstyle. Then, at 1.14, her waist gets measured - and I'm sure that all of her fans would love to know what that luscious measurement was, but alas, the video isn't quite clear enough to capture it.

The video also features numerous saucy images of the models indulging themselves. Like Full-Figured Fashion Week, FWPS is a truly celebratory, empowering event, and in Mayara it has a gorgeous supermodel to represent it.
Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2011   #5
Graham

Default Re: Mayara Russi, New York

For Mayara fans - among whom I certainly count myself as one of the most ardent - here are two further videos showing the luscious Miss Russi modelling on a Brazilian TV program.

This one is from December, but I don't recall it being posted on the forum. December was summertime in the southern hemisphere, so Mayara sports fitted denim cutoffs and a soft pink top. This outfit better shows off her sumptuous size-20 figure than anything apart from swimwear. Her arms are softly rounded, and she has a visibly full, luxurious waist. She appears first at 5:28, and then in the recap of all of the models at 12:26.

This video, on the other hand, is brand new. so it has Mayara showing off fall/winter fashions. Consequently, she's more covered up, but her top still suggests the opulent roundness of her midsection. Plus, her hair is loose and flowing. She shows up at 6:56, and then at the conclusion at 12:47.

What a pleasure to see footage of Mayara proudly showcasing her size-20 physique. I consider hers the definitive body type for plus-size models, and the North American full-figured fashion industry would do well to embrace models with her proportions - or for that matter, Mayara herself, just as she is, without having her lose a single lovely inch or a single gorgeous pound.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote