Go Back   The Judgment of Paris Forum > 2005-2012 > 2005: July - December
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th November 2005   #1
HSG
Administrator

Default Fairy-tale princess in the present day

Here is an image so exquisitely lovely, that it deserves a post of its own.

Christina Schmidt's Torrid series has yielded one gem after another, but this image evokes such a warm, relaxed mood, that it is almost dreamlike. One reader dubbed this a "California look," and indeed, the model almost seems to be glowing in the gentle West Coast sunlight, as if she were lit from within.

Add to that the fact that this is the sweetest expression in any image from Christina's Torrid series, and that her facial features have never appeared softer or rounder, and the result is an evocation of pure, harmonious beauty. Christina's demeanour is just as relaxed as the outfit that she is modelling. And the unique hairstyle has won everyone over by now, not only in its style (in which respect it is an absolute masterpiece, and one of the most gorgeous we have ever seen, with its "voluptuous volume," and enchantingly wavy shape), but even in the colours--although a more even shade would also have been lovely.

And the halter top is one of Torrid's better recent offerings, both alluring, in framing the charms of a feminine figure so well, and comfortable, by being so unobtrusive at the waist.

In our recent post showcasing postcards of Wagnerian productions from the 1800s, it was remarkable to see how closely Miss Schmidt's facial features matched those of the fair heroines in Wagner's idealized, mythical realm. How interesting to think that today, the world is filled with fairy-tale princesses such as the ones seen in those 19th-century images (although they are dressed in a more contemporary manner, as is Christina in this image)--but that the modern media never allows them to be seen.

Thank goodness that plus-size retailers such as Torrid are helping to circumvent this aesthetic prohibition, and restoring beauty to a world that needs it so much . . .

- Click here to view the item

HSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2005   #2
Kaitlynn

Default Re: Fairy-tale princess in the present day

God, Christina just looks so gorgeous. I admit I'm a little jealous, but mostly I am just glad that full-figured girls have such an amazing representative. I feel better about Christina being a public "face," voice, (and figure) for plus-size girls than just about anyone else.

I'm also glad that Torrid is offering a really pretty fashion top like this. I was at another site recently (I won't say which one), and was thinking how pretty their tops were, kind of princess-like (in keeping with the title of this post), but.........

http://slimages.macys.com/is/image/...,0.5,0&fmt=jpeg

..........but I couldn't STAND the fact that the site uses straight-size and faux-plus models! I'd rather be buying things like this at Torrid, because Torrid's campaigns are so size positive.

Anyway, I also wanted to mention that an e-mail promo from Torrid featuring Christina showed up in my Inbox earlier today, but I don't think I can post it directly. Maybe if I forward it to the webmaster, he can do the honours........
Kaitlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2005   #3
HSG
Administrator

Here is the ad that Kaitlynn mentioned, which is a uniquely "fun" image. Torrid certainly allowed Christina to experiment with an astonishing range of looks and moods in this series, and Christina's acting background undoubtedly helped her to present so many different personalities, from gorgeous to casual, from elegant to exuberant:

HSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2005   #4
MelanieW

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSG
Here is an image so exquisitely lovely, that it deserves a post of its own.

I definitely agree that the first image in this thread is one of the most beautiful of this latest Christina/Torrid collaboration, and one of Torrids best recent tops. It would have made an even better ad image than the one in the pants promo. Christina and Torrid are a perfect fit for each other, and I know their campaigns will go down as some of the best the plussize industry has ever seen. Christina is a "born model" if ever there was one. A true movie star beauty - and shes representing us. I love it!
MelanieW is offline   Reply With Quote