Go Back   The Judgment of Paris Forum > 2005-2012 > 2011: January - December
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 31st August 2011   #1
HSG
Administrator

Default Katherine Roll in Glamour

The October 2011 issue of Glamour magazine includes a very special treat for aficionados of plus-size beauty: the first-ever appearance of full-figured goddess Katherine Roll (MSA Models, size 18) in the magazine's editorial pages.

Despite its occasional penchant for delivering mixed messages, Glamour has an impressive track record of shooting some of the industry's finest plus-size models, but Katherine may be the most gorgeous and genuinely curvaceous beauty that the publication has yet featured between its covers.

Better still, the story that Katherine illustrates is a piece on skirts, and softly rounded goddesses look especially pretty in skirts rather than slacks. Many of our readers actually prefer a lower-waisted fit in skirts, which goes especially well with the peasant/romantic look epitomized by bohemian styles, but any fashion advice that counsels girls to put aside androgynous pant-ensembles and embrace their femininity in skirts is excellent.

Each of the skirt options that Glamour suggests is very attractive (the finest being the ruffled style, which is the most feminine of all), but Katherine makes her Igigi skirt look fantastic. Her opulent figure gives the skirt an attractive, shapely outline, suggesting the womanly proportions of the wearer. Just imagine what an exciting promotion it would be if Katherine were ever to shoot a bona fide Igigi campaign.

Click to enlarge

Katherine absolutely glows in these images--yes, in both photos, because to her great credit, rather than downplaying her charisma in the "before" image, as some models do, she delivers just as much radiant energy in the figure-defining picture on the left as in the skirt shot on the right. Her hairstyle in the "after" photograph is very pretty--an updo that hints at the hidden volume of her tresses, which are carefully sculpted into this chic, breezy 'do. She beams with joy, communicating uninhibited body love. Any curvy girls alighting upon this Glamour page will immediately wish to emulate Katherine's look--and her curves--to gain this kind of untrammelled self-satisfaction.

Click to enlarge

However, as is always the case in Glamour's before-and-after pairings, the most size-positive photograph is assuredly the "before" image. In it, Katherine dons a figure-hugging grey number that lovingly defines her every curve. Little wonder that Miss Roll effortlessly radiate such boundless self-adoration, given that she has a physique as perfectly proportioned as this. Her figure is soft and attractive, formed into ideally feminine contours through the divinely shaping hand of nature itself. It is in images like these that Glamour exhibits its most pro-curvy inclinations, for the photograph achieves the body-loving effect of a swimwear image. The grey hue of the fabric makes one think of classical sculptures of Aphrodite, and surely if the great artists of Antiquity were alive today, they would be imploring Katherine to pose for them, so that they could immortalize her curves in marble as a depiction of the classical goddess of beauty.

Click to enlarge

Bravo to Katherine for a truly stunning editorial appearance. She takes a familiar modelling genre--the fashion-advice presentation--and invigorates it with her beauty and talent to make it something even more exciting and pro-curvy than a layout in Vogue or Elle. And kudos to Glamour for selecting such a gorgeous and legitimately curvaceous model rather than resorting to faux-plus predictability, and for celebrating her sumptuous proportions ("size 18") in such an unapologetic way.

We hope to see more instances of Katherine Roll in national publications in the near future.

(Click images to view larger.)

- Katherine Roll gallery

Last edited by HSG : 31st August 2011 at 15:51.
HSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2011   #2
renata

Default Re: Katherine Roll in Glamour

Katherine is sooooo beautiful. I love her self-assurance. Sure, it must be easier to feel great about yourself when you're as attractive as she is, but still, her self-admiration is really empowering. I feel more confident just looking at her. It's like she's saying to Glamour's readers, "This is what the fashion ideal should be."

And her figure is perfect. I appreciate that she looks truly plus-size and has such natural curves. I think women of every size could look to her for style inspiration. I don't see why a magazine would ever want anyone skinnier. She is ideally beautiful, but represents all women. She is both aspirational and relatable. Gorgeous.
renata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2011   #3
Tanya

I adore both looks. The "before" picture is exciting for its size-positive qualities. Why would any stylist for curvy fashion take a faux-plus model and give her a distorted physique via the obscenity of "padding," when Katherine's natural curves, at a soft size 18, are so beautiful? I think she looks fantastic in that figure-hugging dress. Imagine if it were a scarlet red - she would stop traffic.

And in the skirt outfit, Katherine looks fresh and vibrant. Any other model would have made it too sober, but Katherine knew that the outfit needed to be energized, so she gave it playfulness and youth. She's such a brilliant model.

Looking at Katherine's beautiful images, I'm amazed that Glamour didn't simply push those three boring celebrities off its cover and make Katherine the October cover girl. She'd have been far more gorgeous, and Glamour's readers would have been thrilled!
Tanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2011   #4
Pamela

Katherine is ravishingly beautiful in Glamour. I haven't purchased the magazine in some months now, but I had to pick up this issue. I plan to write a letter to the publication as well, complimenting them for using such an attractive and legitimately full-figured goddess in its pages. Katherine embodies exactly how plus-size women want to be represented: by someone who actually has curves, but who is also youthful and supermodel-beautiful.

Glamour made a declaration year or two ago about how it would be featuring "plus-size" models in its editorial pages for several months, but all that ended up happening was that the magazine used models who were faux-plus -- who were so thin that bloggers complained bitterly that no one could even tell the difference between these faux-plus girls and the regular minus-size models. Everyone was unhappy.

But if Glamour had instead used models like Katherine for that project, showing her in glamorous, multi-page fashion spreads, it would have caused a sensation, and the magazine would have attracted legions of new readers.

This appearance by Miss Roll is an encouraging sign. I hope that publication will now be using generously proportioned models in future issues as well.
Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011   #5
MelanieW

Katherine is glamour personified, living up to the name of the magazine better than any other model in its pages. She can make anything look great, but when she wears something fitted, as she does here, she reveals herself to be a true goddess.

I take great consolation in the fact that even though the plus-size industry is sometimes disappointing in how few of its models are authentically full-figured, the select few who are - Katherine, Kelsey, Sophie Sheppard, Shannon Marie, etc. - are also the most gorgeous of all. They truly are the elite, in terms of beauty. The work that they create represents the plus-size industry at its best and most subversive, and has the best change of changing people's minds and compelling them to see through curve-o-phobic brainwashing and recognize the ideal beauty of the fuller female figure.
MelanieW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2011   #6
Meredith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamela
I plan to write a letter to the publication as well, complimenting them for using such an attractive and legitimately full-figured goddess in its pages. Katherine embodies exactly how plus-size women want to be represented: by someone who actually has curves, but who is also youthful and supermodel-beautiful.

I think this is an excellent idea, and I hope many readers will do likewise.

There is a chance here to positively impact the industry. It's not a futile gesture. Even if Glamour's editors have heard calls for fuller-figured models many times, one never knows which letter could be the one that finally prompts them to change their minds. Tell them how wonderful it was to see "the girl on p.104," and how you wish to see more images like this.

Katherine looks gorgeous in this issue and demonstrates the universal appeal of a legitimately curvy model. Both photos are lovely, but the "before" picture is, for me, the real "after" picture -- that is, the most empowering image -- because it shows how stunning full-figured beauty can be, after a curvaceous woman gains confidence in herself, after she learns to love her curves, after she recognizes the ideal nature of her own attractiveness. Katherine's size-positive pictures can help bring girls to that "after" level of self-affirmative confidence.
Meredith is offline   Reply With Quote