The Judgment of Paris Forum

Go Back   The Judgment of Paris Forum > 2005-2012 > 2011: January - December
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th November 2011   #1
Tanya

Default Kelsey Olson for SWAK: ''Lights, Camera, Fashion''

Like everyone else, I was thrilled by the behind-the-scenes preview photos photos of the making of the new Sealed with a Kiss holiday lookbook, featuring gorgeous plus-size model Kelsey Olson, photographed by Michael Anthony Hermogeno.

I'm even more excited now that the lookbook is finally online at the SWAK site!

The cover page leads right into it.

Here are a few smaller preview pictures, reduced to forum size. But it really must be seen at swakdesigns.com to get the full impact, and to view the items that Kelsey is modelling so effectively. These wonderful fashions are sure to entice anyone who can't resist giving themselves a Christmas gift, or gifting them for someone else.

http://www.swakdesigns.com/

The premise is very clever -- Kelsey is shown evoking the leads in various Christmas- and winter-themed movies. The first is a true classic: Dr. Zhivago. So there is a Russian theme to this campaign, just as some of the commentators on the preview thread were speculating. But it's even more splendid than anyone guessed. If any model could evoke Lara, the fabled beauty who inspired the passionate, romantic poetry that is the centrepiece of Dr. Zhivago, it's Kelsey. Those beautiful, icy blue eyes haunt the soul.

I think I enjoy this image most of all in the entire lookbook. Kelsey is shown performing a step from the famous Cossack dances for which Russia is so well known, and with which her fur hat immediately associates her. It's a great pose, too, for showing how the top exhibits the wearer's buxom curves.

I adore the fairy-tale look of Kelsey's golden tresses in this image, showing her in the dress from the very first preview picture of the campaign.

Such a pensive look from Kelsey. The serious expression is very appropriate for these Dr. Zhivago-themed images, with the wintry climate giving all Northern Europeans an austere aspect to their characters which, in women, greatly enhances their beauty.

From melancholy to mirth! Kelsey channels Chloe Agnew in this pretty tunic. Her face is the face of an angel.

White Christmas was, of course, the classic 1950s film which popularized the eponymous Bing Crosby song, which has become one of the best-loved holiday carols. This cover is the most glamorous image of the lookbook, and one of the most glamorous images of Kelsey I've ever seen. I'm amazed at how perfectly she embodies this silver-screen elegance.

She's oh-so sophisticated in her black gloves and with her golden hair in a carefully coiffed style. Very chic and debonair. The '50s were the last decade in which Kelsey's timeless beauty was acknowledged and appreciated by popular culture, so it's very fitting that Miss Olson should embody the look of this era.

I always love the modest-model pose, which Kelsey does so well.

The red lip colour and red shoes are amazing styling touches.

But Kelsey looks especially posh and glamorous in this red top. It's a great holiday look -- but then, Kelsey has always had an affinity for the colour red. Many of her most famous images have shown her in red. The golden necklace, like her golden tresses, play off this colour so well.

Gorgeous pose.

Something a bit more playful and fun from Kelsey, in a dress that's simple but very sensual, with the deep V exhibiting her voluptuous curves.

Simple, yes, but with the scarf, the earrings, and Kelsey's pose, it can also be made to look sophisticated.

It's worth crediting everyone listed in this amazing shoot:

Quote:
Photographer: Michael Anthony Hermogeno
Styling: Reah Norman
Makeup and hair: Brittany Sullivan

Michael Anthony especially deserves great praise, as he has such a knack for bringing out new and original qualities in Kelsey's photos. I don't think we would ever have seen her lively Cossack-dance pose, or that ultra-alluring image for the White Christmas section of the lookbook, through any other photographer's lens.

Stunning work from everyone involved, showing off some really attractive, versatile, feminine fashions. And Kelsey continues to become more beautiful with every shoot.

http://www.swakdesigns.com/plus-siz...ra-Fashion.aspx

Last edited by HSG : 4th December 2011 at 17:07. Reason: Image URL updated
Tanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2011   #2
Emily

Default Kelsey as Lara in ''Dr. Zhivago''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanya
If any model could evoke Lara, the fabled beauty who inspired the passionate, romantic poetry that is the centrepiece of Doctor Zhivago, it's Kelsey. Those beautiful, icy blue eyes haunt the soul.

Yes! Very much so. Nothing could be a better theme for a winter campaign than a reference to one of the greatest epics Hollywood has ever created, a film set entirely amid the snow and the ice of the far North. And no model could more vividly evoke Zhivago's lover and muse, the exquisite Lara, than Kelsey Olson. Julie Christie was very beautiful in the original film, but Kelsey is a timeless snow princess, if ever there was one.

Doctor Zhivago is unquestionably one of the greatest films ever made, a stirring account of the Russian Revolution which shows, perhaps better than any other Hollywood movie, how the horrors of Leftist totalitarianism menace every trace of beauty in the world, both cultural and personal. Zhivago himself, the resolutely personal poet, is to the inhuman Bolsheviks the worst criminal that could ever be born: he is a Romantic. And to be a Romantic in a time of cultural Marxism is to be a heretic (a situation known very well to us today).

The following is the most famous and beautiful sequence in the film, the scene where Zhivago and his beloved Lara escape the Bolsheviks and retreat to an abandoned Russian estate, far in the countryside. It's as if they step back in time and recapture, for a moment, the beautiful, traditional Russia of the Czars and the aristocracy that the Bolsheviks have set out to destroy.

It's also a moving and symbolic expression of how two Romantics can create a separate paradise for themselves, away from the horrors of the world (at least for a while).

But most important of all, it may be the finest depiction of artistic creation ever put on film. After being with Lara, Zhivago finds his dormant poetic impulses stirred. He goes to the writing table and, by the light of a single tallow candle, begins penning his defiantly personal and romantic Lara poetry. The subsequent scene, when Kelsey -- or rather, Lara -- comes to the table and reads the words that he has written about her (as the famous "Lara's Theme" music swells to a crescendo), is one of the most beautiful scenes in all of cinema.

Apologies for the subtitles. It's the only video of this scene that is available online. Notice how beautiful Lara is in her fur hat, so similar to what Kelsey wears in the SWAK lookbook. (Click the arrow to play the video.)

This trailer gives a sense of the scope and grandeur of the complete movie.

But don't limit yourselves to cheap online viewing. This is a visual spectacle that was filmed in 70mm by the legendary director David Lean. If there is any film worth watching on a widescreen television, in the best conditions possible, this is it.

For the Blu-Ray disc of Doctor Zhivago, click here.

For the DVD disc of Doctor Zhivago, click here.
Emily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2011   #3
Hannah

Default Re: Kelsey Olson for SWAK: ''Lights, Camera, Fashion''

Quote:
Kelsey is shown performing a step from the famous Cossack dances for which Russia is so well known, and with which her fur hat immediately associates her. It's a great pose, too, for showing how the top exhibits the wearer's buxom curves.

Magnificent. Kelsey looks curvy and beautiful in that top. The design at the bust is very flattering. And I love how the pose references the Russian culture that permeates the film that inspired the look, Doctor Zhivago.

I did a quick web search for videos of some of the Russian dances. There are hundreds, but here's a brief one, for the purposes of introduction. If you fast forward to 0:53, you'll see some of the traditional Russian steps and hear the melody of "Kalinka" - perhaps the best-known Russian folk song.

The same melody actually turns up briefly in the Doctor Zhivago trailer posted above, at the 0:55 mark, with a peasant woman performing the folk dance in a rail car.
Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2011   #4
Graham

As soon as I learned that Kelsey was going to be shooting a look book for Sealed with a Kiss, I promptly signed up for the label's e-mail ads, and, lo and behold, I just received a promo for the new catalogue:

The Doctor Zhivago scene is, of course, at the bottom-right (note Lara in her fur hat), with a scene from White Christmas just to the left of it.

It's extremely appropriate that Kelsey should be channelling a Russian muse in this campaign. In the Kelsey Olson interview on this site, I remember reading about her family history, which revealed that she herself is German-Russian:

Quote:
“What’s your ethnic background?” I queried, still thinking of those flaxen tresses. “Olson sounds Anglo-Saxon, but your mother’s maiden name is Germanic, yes?”

“Yeah, my dad’s side is Danish,” Kelsey answered.

“Danish,” I exclaimed. So that was the secret to her Nordic look.

“And then my mother’s side is German-Russian, so Catherine the Great, you know, the movement of the Germans to Russia,” she continued.

“Yes!” The story of how Catherine the Great invited German settlers to come to Russia in the 18th century, where they lived for generations, was very well known to me, but I was impressed that Kelsey knew it too, and thrilled that she had such a fascinating lineage.

“Yeah, that’s my family,” she informed me. “Escaped that war, and—”

“That’s so exciting.”

“Yeah, so it’s big Vikings and Germans and Russians, resulting in this big, white lady,” she said with a chuckle.

With her fair hair and blue eyes, Lara in Doctor Zhivago is surely meant to be, like Kelsey, a descendant of one of the ethnic Germans who migrated to Russia at the behest of the Czars, in centuries past.

Bravo to Kelsey, Michael Anthony, and Sealed with a Kiss for a magazine-worthy editorial that is both beautiful to look at and has a fascinating theme.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011   #5
Meredith

I just received a SWAK e-mail ad as well today, this onee showing a stunnin,g never-before-scene photograph from the shoot, with Kelsey in her elegant White Christmas outfit.

So classy and sophisticated! It's fascinating to see Kelsey venture into high-class territory. She adopts just the right expression to exude posh glamour.
Meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2011   #6
Lily

Quote:
White Christmas was, of course, the classic 1950s film which popularized the eponymous Bing Crosby song, which has become one of the best-loved holiday carols. This cover is the most glamorous image of the lookbook, and one of the most glamorous images of Kelsey I've ever seen. I'm amazed at how perfectly she embodies this silver-screen elegance.

I agree that the image is gorgeous. Kelsey is so beautiful, she's like something out of a dream. If there was ever a "snow princess," it's Kelsey.

Many of the comments in this thread have focussed on Doctor Zhivago, but White Christmas is a wonderful film as well, albeit in a completely different character. It's filled with musical numbers and dance sequences, as was common for movies in the 1950s.

Here's the opening scene, unfortunately from a VHS source. It's quite touching, showing soldiers away from home at Christmastime. I think many military families today could entirely relate to the feelings of separation from loved ones and the nostalgia from home that Bring Crosby's "White Christmas" communicates.

And in what's perhaps the most wonderful scene in the film, here are Danny Kaye and Vera Ellen performing a memorable dance sequence. This video shows the quality of the restored widescreen print currently available on disc. I'm enchanted by the beauty of Vera Ellen's dress. It would be perfect for a plus-size goddess like Kelsey, and has an especially attractive design at the bust. Maybe the sleeves could be updated and the skirt abbreviated, but it's charming.

Watching Vera Ellen dance in that pink dress reminds me of Katrina van Tassel dancing in her own pink gown in Disney's The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, which Tamika recently wrote about.
Lily is offline   Reply With Quote