The Judgment of Paris Forum

Go Back   The Judgment of Paris Forum > 2005-2012 > 2006: January - December
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 31st July 2006   #1
M. Lopez

Default Showbiz Tonight: ''Sick'' of skinny stars!

CNN's Headline News broadcasts a daily entertainment program called Showbiz Tonight. Usually, it's no different from any other run-of-the-mill entertainment show, but last Friday, the topic was "Hollywood and Body Image," and one of the segments on the program was a gratifying condemnation of Hollywood's obsession with thinness, and a call for the return of fuller-figured actresses.

No, really.

The whole hour-long program was filled with mixed messages (I think the show is compiled by a number of different writers), but this one segment, at least, was surprisingly positive.

The show posts rough transcripts of its broadcasts on line:

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRI.../28/sbt.01.html

and below is the transcript of the segment saying, "It's time to end the addiction to skinny stars" and "bigger is most definitely better."

ANDERSON: Welcome back to a special edition of SHOWBIZ TONIGHT, "Hollywood and Body Image."

I'm Brooke Anderson.

You know, skinny isn't always sexy, especially in Hollywood. In the SHOWBIZ TONIGHT newsroom we get every celebrity magazine out there, but recently we can't help but notice almost every cover has featured a super- skinny star. And, quite frankly, we're getting a little sick of it.

So, tonight, we ask you: What happened to Hollywood's curvy women?

(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

ANDERSON (voice over): Kate Bosworth, Nicole Richie, Keira Knightly, starlets looking thinner than ever. But here's what SHOWBIZ TONIGHT wants to ask: Is this really how our leading ladies should look? Should they be wasting away right before our eyes?

A generation ago we were mesmerized by this: a curvaceous and oh-so-sexy Marilyn Monroe.

Now it's this: big screen stars like "Superman's" Kate Bosworth, who some say are, quite simply, scary skinny.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Size 2 used to be in, but now it's size 0. So everybody is just getting thin. It's Hollywood, baby.

ROB CHILTON, "OK!" MAGAZINE: You know, people are just obsessed by this at the moment. People are just fascinated by skinny people.

ANDERSON: But why? Why in the world are we fascinated by stick-thin stars?

Most women don't look like them. In fact, several studies show the average woman in America is 5'4" and weighs 144 pounds. That's a size 14.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: You wouldn't know that. You wouldn't know that looking at all these covers of the magazines and all these celebrity shows.

CHILTON: Most of the women that we see in magazines and on TV -- on TV screens and cinema screens are, you know, a size 0 or a size 2. To there is a kind of fascination from people, I think, especially women, to see these very, very skinny celebrities.

ANDERSON: Well, we at SHOWBIZ TONIGHT say it's time to end the addiction to skinny stars. We want leading ladies with some meat on their bones.

We want more women like J. Lo.

CHILTON: Nicole Kidman, who is, you know, famously not curvy, actually came out and said that she admires Jennifer Lopez's curvy body. And she said, "I wish I had boobs and a butt like Jennifer Lopez." You know, she said, "I think that's more beautiful on a woman to have curves."

So, it's not just women in the street who want J. Lo's body, it's -- you know, it's $25-million-a-movie Nicole Kidman who wants -- who wants J. Lo's body.

ANDERSON: Wow. Who knew?

But, hey, if we're talking about J. Lo, we can't forget about Beyonce. She loves her curves so much she wrote a hit song about them.

CHILTON: What better attributes to your body can you get than that?

ANDERSON: We think bigger is most definitely better.

Just ask Kate Winslet, who has often talked about her full figure and how she's just fine with it.

Well, so are we. But are you?

We sent SHOWBIZ TONIGHT producer Carrie Hill to find out.

CARRIE HILL, SHOWBIZ TONIGHT PRODUCER: Do you think Hollywood has gotten too thin?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Absolutely. I think they celebrate bodies that aren't normal.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Some of them, they look good, but some of them, they need to eight a piece of bread.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Don't be scared of the carbs. Eat as much as you can, if that's what makes you happy.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I personally think that curvier women are sexier.
M. Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2006   #2
HSG
Administrator

Default Re: Showbiz Tonight: ''Sick'' of skinny stars!

For an entertainment-news story, this was a remarkable condemnation of the underweight look, and a bold assertion of preference for plus-size beauty:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Lopez
ANDERSON (voice over): . . . here's what SHOWBIZ TONIGHT wants to ask: Is this really how our leading ladies should look? Should they be wasting away right before our eyes? . . .

ANDERSON: Well, we at SHOWBIZ TONIGHT say it's time to end the addiction to skinny stars. We want leading ladies with some meat on their bones. . . .

CHILTON: . . . she said, "I think that's more beautiful on a woman to have curves" . . .

ANDERSON: We think bigger is most definitely better. . .

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Don't be scared of the carbs. Eat as much as you can, if that's what makes you happy. . . .

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I personally think that curvier women are sexier.

It's a wonderful call to arms. How regrettable, though, that the actresses whom the report cited as being curvier than the Hollywood standard are still so thin. It underscores a Catch-22 situation: Hollywood suppresses plus-size beauty, so no curvaceous starlets ever acquire A-list status. Consequently, even when shows like this wish to celebrate fuller-figured beauty, they have no plus-size A-list celebrities to promote.

But Showbiz Tonight (and programs like it) could be helping to rectify the situation. They could be profiling Christina Schmidt. They could be interviewing Charlotte Coyle about her forthcoming reality show. And on the rare occasions when actresses do gain weight, they could be applauding their figure-improvement, enthusiastically and unreservedly.

Looking through the rest of the Showbiz Tonigth transcript, we found it predictably riddled with mixed messages. However, one further excerpt seemed noteworthy. In a discussion of how overweight men--absurdly--face less stigma than plus-size actresses, the show's host, A.J. Hammer, pointedly asked his interviewee:

HAMMER: When do you think that we're going to see it more coming from the women?

O'KEEFE: The women - it's just, again - it's there already. Middle America understands what they're attracted to. But Hollywood's not giving it to them. Unfortunately, A.J., I think it's going to probably take something extreme, like a death. It's going to take a Karen Carpenter situation, which happened back in 1983. Some young actress is going to have to die of anorexia. And when that happens, we'll see a change in Hollywood decision-making.

HAMMER: Because it would seem to me, and - and I honestly can't recall a time when somebody has put this out there. But if some studio or some filmmaker would go out on a limb and cast the more [curvaceous] women in a big feature role, then people would identify with that, and then it would sort of lead the way.

O'KEEFE: Absolutely. They need to get their heads out of the sand.

Let's hope that "some studio or some filmmaker" will indeed "go out on a limb," in this manner. And when that time comes, let's also hope that they choose a bona fide goddess--one who can reawaken the natural human preference for true, feminine beauty.

Breathtaking new test image from Melissa Masi (size 14):

- NEW Yanderis Lodos galleries

HSG is offline   Reply With Quote