The Judgment of Paris Forum

Go Back   The Judgment of Paris Forum > 2005-2012 > 2005: July - December
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th July 2005   #1
Kaitlynn

Default ''Highly passionate, ardent, zealous''

Continuing the series of positive articles about plus-size fashion, here's a great new one about Torrid and the changing shape of the industry:

http://home.hamptonroads.com/storie...89134&ran=86388

It's not perfect, and it has some broken-record statistics about size, but there's this really pro-curvy section in it:

"I think what sets Torrid apart, what makes it different, is it actually goes to be hip and sexy. They’re not hiding anything behind additional material. They like to celebrate the size of women that they cater to."

Indeed, many of Torrid’s offerings promise to show skin and shape: lacy camisoles, knee-baring peasant skirts, tube tops, tight-fitting jeans, clingy shirts and sleeveless dresses. They come in bold, bright designs in colors such as pink and purple, turquoise and black, orange and gold.

In Webster’s Dictionary, "torrid" means "so hot as to be parching or oppressive; scorching" or "highly passionate, ardent, zealous, etc." in a secondary definition."

What great terms: "Celebrate" "So hot as to be scorching" "Highly passionate" And just LOOK at the types of clothing the article lists. All of these ideas, and all of these outfits, are becoming identified with being PLUS-size!
Kaitlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2005   #2
HSG
Administrator

Default Re: ''Highly passionate, ardent, zealous''

Nearly all of the weight statistics that lazy reporters parrot in otherwise favourable articles such as this come from just one, highly questionable entity, which is misleadingly called the "Centre for Science in the Public Interest." If anyone actually cares to learn about the questionable motivations behind this group, there is a useful Web site at CSPIScam.com, which helps remove the organization's mask of objectivity. One critic's comment that this organization "want[s] us in a state of perpetual Lent" is, if anything, an understatement--but it highlights the moralistic zealotry behind its campaigns. Journalists could at least attempt to find better sources for their numbers than this agenda-driven group.

Apart from that, this article is certainly is a very favourable piece. In addition to the quoted passage, it contains some significant observations about Torrid’s specific value as a distinct entity which caters exclusively to full-figured girls. The comment that it is impossible to be "all things to all people" is spot on. (Even the early Mode had critics--absurdly so.) And the idea of Torrid as "a little Mecca" for curvaceous women, an escape from the thin-centric media world, is directly in line with our own thinking. In its imagery, and in its physical existence, Torrid is an compelling alternative to anorex-chic modernity--the best that exists on this side of the Atlantic.

Torrid model in one of those "lacy camisoles" that the article describes with such relish.

HSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2005   #3
MelanieW

Theres no question this is a major generational change. I have a lot of hope for the girls who are just becoming teenagers right now, who have Torrid, plussize models, and other positive images to help them love themselves the way they should.

This is becoming "article of the day", but I found one more Ive got to share -

''Local girls agree: Super-thin no longer in''

The quotes from the young girls the writer talked to are AMAZING. Listen to what they say about anorexic celebs -

“The Olsen twins are nasty-looking,” said 11-year-old Denila Taylor of Lowell.

Taylor's 16-year-old sister, Brittany, also weighed in on the extremely emaciated duo. “They're in every one of the magazines they look disgusting.”

And they say Lindsay Lohan "looks like a skeleton"!

The best are the quotes from a young girl named Brittany Taylor. She says “Eww, no, that's gross,” when the reporter asks if she would ever have plastic surgery. And the conclusion is almost too good to be true -

If there's any truth to these food findings, Brittany Taylor speaks it. “These girls obsessed with their weight,” she sighed and rolled her eyes.

“Whatever I'm craving at the time goes stuffing down my throat. Mmm, stuffing. When's Thanksgiving,” she said, bursting into girlie giggles.

This young girl is totally and completely liberated about food, about size, and about her view of herself. I envy her! She eats whatever she wants and enjoys it guilt free. I bet she never gets an eating disorder in her life. If only the rest of society could feel the way she does.......
MelanieW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2005   #4
HSG
Administrator

The article that Melanie linked is significant in a number of ways, but note in particular the basis on which these wonderful young girls have rejected media standards, and learned to be comfortable with food.

They refer to stick-thin celebrities as "nasty-looking," "disgusting," and skeletal, and they regard plastic surgery as "gross."

This is a confirmation of a vital principle very few activists for positive body image acknowledge, let alone appreciate.

It is aesthetics, not politics, ethics, or "social conscience," that has enabled these girls to free themselves of the impulse to starve. They are rejecting media images not because of any perceived political or commercial agenda on the part of magazines or advertisers, but because they have discovered that media images are ugly. They have an aesthetic aversion to plastic surgery and its results. They find no correlation between emaciation and beauty--quite the opposite.

Perceiving how unattractive the androgynous standard actually is, is what has enabled them to reject it.

Campaigns that attempt to demonstrate how the media "exploits" or "manipulates" women may have their place, but strictly from a practical point of view, their efficacy is extremely limited. Humanity has a natural and timeless love of beauty, and only a superior beauty ideal can displace the dehumanizing modern standard.

When young girls have the scales lifted from their eyes, and when they come to regard the results of starvation and plastic surgery as "gross," then these ordeals will hold no more temptation for them.

As with so many things in life, aesthetics will triumph where politics fails.

Melissa modelling for supremely subversive Torrid:

Old 18th July 2005   #5
Micki

I am so glad to see young women refusing to accept the images of emanciated women that the mass media has been trying to force on us for so long. Maybe those in Hollywood, clothing manufacturers, and fashion magazine editors will finally wake up and realize that women want to look like women, not stick figures. Unfortunately, the reality of what the public really wants seems to have eluded them, and they continue to push the thin supremacist agenda.

I have made a conscious effort to limit my television viewing, and I do not buy most women's magazines because I do not care to look at starving models and actresses. I prefer instead to view classic art and pictures of beautiful plus-size models such as those on this site. More and more women are doing the same, and before long, the "the thin is in" message will only be effective in reaching the most gullible and insecure women. The rest will start enjoying their lives, free from the torture of diets and extreme exercise.
Micki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2005   #6
Emily

I think Micki is absolutely right. How you tailor your surroundings has so much to do with how clearly you can actually see beauty. If you trap yourself inside media walls, you can't help but have your perceptions narrowed.

The image of Melissa Masi that is posted in this thread is very nice -- the longer hair enhances her look considerably -- but another reason why I adore Torrid, even though I am not in their target demographic, is because while Melissa would probably be considered in the middle range of full-figured models in terms of size, at Torrid she is actually one of the thinnest models (almost too thin).

And to me, those are the parameters which plus-size retailers should maintain, if they wish to keep the respect and loyalty of their customers: their models should begin at size 14, and feature all sizes upwards of that. Anything less is an insult.

And if the rest of the media ahered to such parameters as well, many women who have been duped into thinking that they are "large" would suddenly realize that their body type is perfectly normal and mainstream -- and beautiful.

Here's a very pretty Torrid top. Melissa's long dark hair against the white fabric creates the "Snow White" look that everybody has been talking about:

http://www.torrid.com/store/product...204&ITEM=517359
Emily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2005   #7
HSG
Administrator

People sometimes inquire why Torrid consistently receives more praise than any other retailer in its demographic range. Apart from the fact that its apparel is generally superior, no other major chain features fuller-figured models as consistently as Torrid does, while many of its rivals remain incomprehensibly committed to their unpopular faux-plus casting policies. When competitors start showcasing their wares on size-18 junior-plus models, then perhaps they will earn similar accolades.

And fans of Melissa Masi will have ample cause to rejoice, this season. In addition to her ongoing role as the "face" of Kiyonna,

and regular appearances at Torrid, Ms. Masi appears in the current issue of a certain magazine that runs diet ads, and will be a part of Junonia's fall campaign, wearing her signature scarlet red.

Melissa in the first of (hopefully many) Junonia imags:

Last edited by HSG : 25th July 2005 at 03:26.