The Judgment of Paris Forum

Go Back   The Judgment of Paris Forum > 2005-2012 > 2006: January - December
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th August 2006   #1
HSG
Administrator

Default Charlotte on Richard & Judy (video)

WARNING: The following .wmv clip contains intense doses of pure, unadulterated feminine allure, which may overwhelm individuals with weaker constitutions. This video is also highly addictive. View with caution.

We have just unearthed a video of Charlotte Coyle's exciting appearance on Channel 4's Richard and Judy show (which is the British TV equivalent of Regis and Kelly). The segment aired the day before Miss Coyle's prime-time documentary debuted, and undoubtedly helped attract the 2.3 millon viewers who tuned in to Charlotte's program.

Even though the physical dimensions of this four-minute clip are tiny, and the quality less than stellar (we hope to obtain a superior source in the future), the results will stop your heart. The human mind simply cannot comprehend how gorgeous Charlotte looks in this video. She is the timeless ideal brought to life, Helen of Troy reincarnate, "the bygone heroine of romance, or the fairy lady of our dreams," as Kate Chopin writes. Her blonde tresses cascade over her bare shoulders like a river of gold. Her steamy blue eyes piece through to the soul. Her soft curves melt the heart.

And she now qualifies as a bona fide media darling--Britain's first recognizable plus-size goddess since Sophie Dahl.

Interestingly, in this interview, it is Richard Madeley, the male half of the show's host team, who seems even more visibly taken with Miss Coyle than is his female counterpart. While Judy appears, shall we say, "neutral" in her demeanour, Richard's comments are truly affirmative, and his observations are those which any aficionado of timeless beauty would likely make, in a similar circumstance.

Note, for example, the question that he poses at the end of the following exchange:

RICHARD: But you are a model, aren't you?

CHARLOTTE: Yes, I'm a plus-size model.

JUDY: But you can't be a plus-size model in this country--

CHARLOTTE: No.

JUDY: --because the limit is a size 16, and you're an--

CHARLOTTE: --an 18.

RICHARD: Who says? Who says that's the limit?

CHARLOTTE: The plus-size fashion industry in England.

That truly is the key question, isn't it? "Who says that's the limit?" Who indeed! And why should they be the ones to decide? This "limit" is not set in stone, but is simply an arbitrary standard enforced by the small handful of agency bookers, magazine editors, and art directors who comprise the fashion industry. Why should they be allowed to shape, at whim, the visual culture of a nation?

Mr. Madeley must also be complimented for outlining one of the principal goals of size celebration, in the following observation:

RICHARD: All women above a certain size come in for a bit of abuse, don't they? Teasing, and bullying, and all the rest of it, and yet here you are, completely turning it around, and saying, "Yeah, that's right, I am big--bring it on!"

"Completely turning it around"--in other words, a revaluation of aesthetic values.

Charlotte herself is as eloquent and persuasive as ever. There is never a trace of falsehood or pretense about her. In this goddess, Truth and Beauty become one. With absolute sincerity, she explains:

CHARLOTTE: I used to have really, really low self-esteem, and low self-confidence. And then, I got to the point I was like, you know, I'm never going to be skinny--ever, ever--so [I realized], "Just be happy, or I'm going to be miserable until the day I die." So, you just have to work within yourself. It comes from within.

But perhaps the most engaging moment in the interview comes towards the end, when the host unwittingly reveals that he has developed a crush on Miss Coyle (and who can blame him?). Even more charming is Charlotte's reaction, which is at once coy, modest, and even innocently flirtatious.

(This is the precise moment at which she steals every single heart in England.)

RICHARD: [Eanestly] You're very pretty, aren't you? I mean, people have said that to you, I assume . . . Has that been something that you've been conscious of, and has sort of, you know, helped you through those doubtful times?

CHARLOTTE: Of course, of course. Um, I don't know. I don't want to be all big-headed, but . . . I don't know. I'd say that's kind of helped me, you know.

JUDY: You look in the mirror, and you like what you see.

CHARLOTTE: Yes.

Judy does offer one noteworthy comment--towards the end of the interview, when she announces the air-date of the program, along with its title. The girls wince at hearing the program named, which prompts her to say:

JUDY: They don't like that title, and I can't say I blame them.

The interview is entertaining, engaging, and remarkably positive. But its greatest value lies in the fact that when it aired, it presented Miss Coyle's astounding beauty to a significant percentage of the Britain population--all of whom became instant converts to size celebration.

We must particularly compliment Charlotte's choice of wardrobe--alluring and feminine, yet still tasteful. And note how, on several occasions, the model exhibits irresistibly goddesslike tendencies, such as playing with her hair, or allowing her tresses to twirl about freely. One may be sure that every such gesture turned a thousand waif admirers into devotees of the Classical feminine ideal.

With every media appearance, Charlotte significantly advances the aesthetic restoration. Who knows how far her career may take her, and how much good she may do along the way . . .

- Click here to watch Charlotte on Richard & Judy

Last edited by HSG : 25th August 2006 at 04:00.
HSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2006   #2
MelanieW

Default Re: Charlotte on Richard & Judy (video)

The beauty of Charlotte is almost unbelievable. There has never been a representative of plussize women that gorgeous as her in the media before. And we can now safely add this shows host to the long list Chad posted, of mainstream reporters who have marvelled at Charlottes beauty.

People sometimes ask why full-figured women complain about the media, when there are quite a few plussize actresses and such. But the point is that those actresses are chosen specifically because they are NOT gorgeous (Camryn Manheim, etc), and therefore, no threat to the idea that "skinny= beautiful". The media NEVER shows any curvaceous women who are as breathtaking as Charlotte. Its not full-figured women who are suppressed, but beautiful full-figured women who are suppressed - because they pose a real threat to the starvation standards of the media.

It isnt going to be "reality" campaigns that change societys views of beauty, but someone as amazingly attractive as Charlotte. I cant wait to hear about her next triumph!
MelanieW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2006   #3
Emily

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSG
Interestingly, in this interview, it is Richard Madeley, the male half of the show's host team, who seems even more visibly taken with Miss Coyle than is his female counterpart.

This doesn't surprise me. It confirms something that Erika once mentioned on the forum -- that men are often more generous and positive towards women with curves than other women are. Men tend to be much more appreciative, while women are instinctively critical. It's a regrettable inclination, born of resentment, and I hope to see less of it in the future. Beauty should inspire joy, not envy.

I found myself completely captivated by this video -- and by Charlotte especially. It's not just that she is so gorgeous and charismatic, although she definitely possesses both of these qualities. What makes her so engaging is that she truly seems to be speaking from the heart. "Sincerity" was mentioned in the first post, and that is Charlotte to a "t". Some plus-size models seem...guarded when they appear on TV or video. It's like they are instinctively on the defensive, or at least have a wall up. (I suppose this is understandable, considering the society we live in.) But Charlotte allows herself to be vulnerable. She really expresses how she feels, and that wins me over, every time.
Emily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2006   #4
HSG
Administrator

OUr friend D.Trull kindly helped us locate a higher-quality source for Miss Coyle's appearance on the Richard and Judy show, and therefore, we can now share a superior .wmv file of this extraordinary event. The video remains a tad imperfect (a curious bar appears at the top of the screen), but it exhibits clearer picture and sound over the previous version. Charlotte looks even more gorgeous here than in any of her other television showings, which is why it is such a pleasure to share this improved video. You might require the DivX codec to view this 44 Mb clip, but probably not.

If the public were treated to heavenly visions such as this on a regular basis, timeless beauty would quickly return to the modern world . . .

- Click here to view the improved video

Last edited by HSG : 2nd September 2006 at 18:50.
HSG is offline   Reply With Quote