The Judgment of Paris Forum

Go Back   The Judgment of Paris Forum > 2005-2012 > 2006: January - December
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st September 2006   #1
Kaitlynn

Default Crystal Renn in People magazine

In case everyone here hasn't seen it yet, there's an article about Crystal Renn in the issue of People magazine (dated Sept 11) that's on the newsstands right now.

It's a pretty good article, although it's disappointing to see Crystal identified as a size 12. (Even as late as Dec last year, in the FashionTelevision story, she was a size 14.) She definitely looked better while she was fuller-figured. Also, it was awful of People to use the version of her Dolce&Gabbana ad that was photoshopped to make her look thinner, especially since the caption from Crystal reads, "I really like my legs." The fact that the legs were digitally diminished in this particular photo severaly undermines the message.

The article does stress how ruinous her former starvation regimen was. Crystal admits, "my hair was falling out, by skin was a wreck...I was hurting in a bad way." Not very glamorous, I hope, to the young girls who will be reading the article. But the best passage is the following:
As rewarding as her success is, however, Renn says, her greatest triumph is having a positive body image. "I'm actually truly healed," she says. "And I'm loving this job right now!" Not to mention her new lifestyle, which includes indulging in hamburgers and potato salad at backyard cookouts, and making her favorite bruschetta recipe at the Brooken home she shares with her English teacher boyfirend. "If I want anything I just eat it," she says. "I don't think about calories."

Now THAT'S a positive statement! I wish a little more bruschetta would return her to a size 14, but at least the article raises the visibility of plus-size models, and to the concept of plus-size beauty.

[Quotation edited for accuracy--HSG]

Last edited by HSG : 1st September 2006 at 21:41.
Kaitlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2006   #2
HSG
Administrator

Default Re: Crystal Renn in People magazine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitlynn
her new lifestyle, which includes indulging in hamburgers and potato salad at backyard cookouts, and making her favorite bruschetta recipe . . . "If I want anything I just eat it," she says.

This truly is a positive and celebratory statement--and the best possible message that Miss Renn could be delivering to the girls who have adopted her as a role model. The subject of eating for pleasure is still regrettably taboo among plus-size models, but it needn't be. Why should curvaceous women be compelled to deny a natural instinct that has been associated with feminine allure since the dawn of time? In Classical mythology, Ceres, the goddess of food and the harvest, served as the handmaiden of Venus, goddess of beauty, to provide her with the sustenance that she required to maintain her beauty, in all its soft fullness. And in the works of late-Roman writers such as Prudentius, Venus was even personally re-christened as Indulgence (this quality being recognized as the goddess's most powerful desire). Today's plus-size models--who personify the beauty that Classical civilization enshrined as the feminine ideal--should embrace these comparably timeless notions.

To Crystal's great credit, instead of the half-apologetic tone that some fuller-figured celebrities adopt when broaching the topic of food (seemingly attempting to "excuse" their natural appetites by stressing that they still punish themselves with exercise-torture), Crystal simply expresses a healthy enjoyment of eating. Let us hope that her words help curvy girls everywhere attain a similar degree of freedom from societal brainwashing.

We were initially hesitant about posting Crystal's Dolce & Gabbana ad directly, as it is a tad risqué. However, since a mainstream magazine such as People has now published it, the point is rather moot. Also, it is very much worthwhile to see the original version of this ad, sans the contemptible digital manipulation that diminished Crystal's beauty. This original version far better warrants Miss Renn's justifiably positive self-assessment: "I really like my legs!"

Click to enlarge

- Crystal Renn galleries

HSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2006   #3
M. Lopez

Default Re: Crystal Renn in People magazine

I also appreciate the fact that Crystal's beau is an "English teacher boyfriend," rather than, say, some drugged-out rock star. I think it shows class on her part.

Plus, this too sets a good example for the young girls who admire her - especially considering the terrible reports that have come out recently, about how many schools are cruelly pushing physical torture on curvy female students, instead of concentrating on their education.

I'm sure that Crystal leads a much more fulfilled life enjoying poetry with her boyfriend, rather than imprisoning herself in a gym-dungeon for hours on end.
M. Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote