Go Back   The Judgment of Paris Forum > 2005-2012 > 2006: January - December
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th September 2006   #1
HSG
Administrator

Default ''Those Renaissance painters . . .''

Joe Michaels has kindly informed us of a marvellous item that appears (of all places) in the current isssue of Glamour magazine. This statement is nothing less than the very quintessence of size celebration. As Mr. Michaels writes:

There is a nice little piece in the "Jake" column in the new (October) issue of Glamour. It's also on their web site. The theme of the column is "Body 'flaws' you hate . . . but he loves." I'll just paste it below in its entirety:

Tummies
I've been spending my Sunday afternoons at a particular cafe, sort of writing this column but mostly women watching. There are plenty of wannabe Giseles to look atóconcave-stomached girls wearing tiny shirts. But I'm obsessed with one woman who always comes in with her scrappy black mutt. She has long, dark hair, big hoop earrings and a curvy, soft belly. Those Renaissance painters knew something Hollywood doesn't: Rounded lines just look more inviting than hard, straight ones. Ms. Hoops seems fertile, sexy, like someone I could envision spending spend three or four days with in bed.

Right on the money. Too bad the editors of Glamour won't follow through and show some such women in the magazine. In fact, I can't recall the last time Glamour had a model, even a straight-size one, on its cover as opposed to a "Hollywood" personality. I almost wrote "Hollywood figure" there but then realized that depending on the meaning of "figure" that is an oxymoron.

Giorgione, ''Pastoral Concert,'' c.1508

How encouraging to see a mainstream fashion glossy acknowledging that "Those Renaissance painters knew something Hollywood doesn't"! And how wise of them to put the word "flaws" in quotations marks, since a curve is not a "flaw," but a thing of beauty.

The idea of including a male perspective is quite a sensible one, on Glamour's part (even though it is absurd to think that any one individual could speak on behalf of an entire gender). Because "Jake's" comment comes from an actual male writer, Glamour's readers may take it far more seriously than if one of the magazine's female contributors had simply reported it.

And women should believe his statement, because it reflects the aesthetic sensibilities of the vast majority of men--even today. The heterosexual male voice has been misrepresented, calumniated, or silenced in cultural aesthetics for decades, but the truth is that despite round-the-clock brainwashing by the mass media, the soft fullness of plus-size beauty still represents the ideal of feminine allure to most men--as it has throughout human history.

Gaynor Anema (Talent Models, Berlin; Wolf Models, Hamburg):

- "Those Renaissance painters knew something Hollywood doesn't . . ."

Last edited by HSG : 16th September 2006 at 08:58.
HSG is offline   Reply With Quote