The Judgment of Paris Forum

Go Back   The Judgment of Paris Forum > 2005-2012 > 2006: January - December
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th October 2006   #1
Kaitlynn

Default Lane Bryant ''Holiday Royale''

Here's a nice campaign for the holiday season from Lane Bryant, featured in a new online magazine. It's been a long time since LB produced a really gorgeous campaign, but this one qualifies. I love the opulent settings and the lush photography, and the top that Crystal is wearing on the LB cover page is quite attractive. This is actually one of Crystal's most appealing new images in a while. Fitting expression, and the rich colour suits her:

The red curtain reminds me of the backdrops in Venetian Renaissance paintings.

The magalog also features Maiysha and Kate Dillon. Maiysha looks curvy, but it's sad how thin Kate has been looking recently. I wonder if she realizes how much the public misses her more curvaceous self, from the early Mode years? I know that SO many fans would enthuse about her again, if she ever regained her plus state.

All in all, fuller-figured models would have been nice, but for setting, photography, etc., it's an attractive promotion, and Lane Bryant's best in some time.

Magalog link:
http://lanebryant.charmingshoppes.c...me=Holiday_2006
Kaitlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2006   #2
HSG
Administrator

Default Re: Lane Bryant ''Holiday Royale''

Although Crystal Renn has appeared in editorial layouts in many renowned fashion magazines, she owes many of her best images not to those experiences, but to her Lane Bryant campaigns.

This is a gorgeous promotion, exhibiting the finest examples of timeless beauty that LB has created since its unsurpassable Spring 2005 shoot. How delightful to see images of full-figured goddesses with captions such as "Lavish" (describing the opulent charms of the models), and "Indulge" (informing viewers of the means by which they can themselves acquire the models' curves). And the "Holiday Royale" reference unmistakably situates the campaign within the tradition of "aristocratic chic," which is so complimentary to full-figured beauty.

The elaborate settings perfectly compliment the models' opulent allure. And Kaitlynn makes an excellent point about how the ornate red curtain is a visual cue, linking the images to Renaissance masterpieces.

Note how in each of Titian's canvasses of Venus and DanaŽ, for example, the painting becomes a window to the outside world. The lush beauty of the natural landscape is personified and complimented by the well-fed beauty of the goddess. The curtain functions as an extension of the painting's frame within the canvas, making seamless the transition from interior to exterior space.

Below is a larger version of the campaign's most stunning image (which, regrettably, crops out some of the landscape that is visible in the smaller but wider version, above). The intense reds create a mood that is at once passionate and elegant.

Altogether, this is a remarkable promotion, and one hopes that Lane Bryant might release more images from this campaign in the near future--either online, or perhaps as advertisments in Figure magazine.

- Magalog "landing page"

Last edited by HSG : 23rd October 2006 at 10:07.
HSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2006   #3
M. Lopez

Default Indulge...in beauty

I looked through my e-mail account, and found an image from a recent Lane Bryant circular relating to this campaign:

I love how the word "Indulge" boldly accompanies the image. It's put in the context of wardrobe, but I think it's a step towards the truly size-celebratory campaigns of the future, which will be photographed as beautifully as this one is, and will indeed encourage voluptuous vixens to feel the freedom to "Indulge" - to indulge in food, to indulge in fashion, to indulge in passion, to indulge in beauty.

It's a wonderful message, especially with the holidays just around the corner.
M. Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2006   #4
MelanieW

Default Re: Lane Bryant ''Holiday Royale''

I have one more image to add to this thread. Lane Bryants ads dont always work for me, but I do like it when they venture into this regal/opulent style, a bit like the aesthetic of bridal ads. A recent e-mail promo had a similarly elegant feel to it:

I love the setting, with the wrought-iron gate and those classical doors, and even the lettering is like Old World "script", especially with the trim around the inset tab. And Crystals pose at least has some suggestion of her figure.

The caption is very appropriate: "hug-me-now boucle" (and it is, of course, the curvaceous figure in the sweater, and not just the material of the sweater, that makes it so huggable).

http://lanebryant.charmingshoppes.c.../ss_landingpage
MelanieW is offline   Reply With Quote