The Judgment of Paris Forum

Go Back   The Judgment of Paris Forum > 2005-2012 > 2007: January - December
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 31st January 2007   #1
Chad

Default ''Be proud of your body''

I saw this on another forum, and felt I had to repost it here. Or rather, I found this text pasted on another forum, and, after a little searching, found the original souce of the comments.

They're from a Web log at Yahoo Personals, where participants discuss how to tailor their online profiles. Apparently, some women were self-conscious about describing their curvy selves, so the organization's senior writer (a man) offered a fine perspective on skewed societal perceptions of womanly curves:

http://ypersonalsblog.com/salon/?p=22

Note in particular how he contrasts modern notions with the timeless ideal, to show readers how artibrary and unnatural today's standards really are. Once again, this shows how beneficial the then-and-now comparison (which comes up on this forum frequently) really is, in promoting size celebration.

Here are a few choice excerpts:

Quote:
In the old days, Beauty was a pretty big lady. Voluptuous, as they say. She didnít just have curves. It was perfectly acceptable for her to have rolls and an extra chin. As a society, weíve done an about-face. Nowadays beauty is someone with subtle signs of malnutrition in a magazine. The bloodshot eyes, the pallid skin color, the retreating gumline...

It seems that this cultureís ideal of feminine beauty is no longer a woman...

Itís not that men want women that thin Ė heavens no. Itís actually kind of repulsive. My opinion is that the fashion-conscious female consumers are themselves foisting this hollow tubercular image onto the world...

As always, the REAL victims here are the young girls who are having this unhealthy farce forced onto their consciousness day in and day out. Itís no wonder that they develop a low self-esteem when hundreds of times theyíre told that the more womanly they get the less they will measure up. I donít know about you, dear reader, but Iíd believe just about anything about myself after that degree of repetition.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2007   #2
jenna sais quoi

Default Re: ''Be proud of your body''

I read the article (Thanks, Chad!) and what struck me was this quote:

"Be proud of your body and the right guys will find you attractive."

No truer words were ever spoken.
jenna sais quoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2007   #3
Texian

Default Re: ''Be proud of your body''

Quote:

A true statement. Let your personality and pictures do the talking for you, rather than letting a few narrow choices from a list categorize you.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2007   #4
mekasia

Smile Re: ''Be proud of your body''

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna sais quoi

Oh, how true it is! I myself spent 18 years hating my size-20 body, hiding it behind shapeless dark dresses and baggy jeans. And I wondered why I couldn't find a real man! Only when I finally decided, "Who cares, I'm going to be beautiful!" did I finally find a man who truly believes that I am a goddess. And now, with nearly 5 years of marriage behind me, I am still amazed that this wonderful man is still as attracted to me as he was on the first day we met!

No, I haven't lost weight. To the contrary, I've gained some. But every day, my husband unfailingly makes me feel as though I am the most beautiful, most exquisite creature on earth.

That article made me smile, yet it brought a tear to my eye to think that, at one time, I was one of those hopeless young girls, struggling in vain to fit society's standard.
mekasia is offline   Reply With Quote