The Judgment of Paris Forum

Go Back   The Judgment of Paris Forum > 2005-2012 > 2007: January - December
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th February 2007   #1
M. Lopez

Default Anorexia victim's sister dies; both models

It never ends. The list of fashion fatalities grows ever longer, and the industry simply doesn't care.

We all remember Luisel Ramos, the model who died of anorexia just a few months ago. Now, tragically, her sister - also a model - has starved herself to death as well.

It is absolutely incredible, incomprehensible, that the fashion industry is allowed to promote this clearly fatal standard of appearance.

Quote:
Catwalk girl, 18, dies six months after her model sister starved herself to death

14/02/07 - World news section

By TAHIRA YAQOOB and JASON MITCHELL

A teenage model whose sister starved herself to death has also died of suspected anorexia.

Eliana Ramos, 18, collapsed six months after her sister Luisel had a heart attack during a fashion show and triggered an international debate over the use of size zero models on the catwalks.

Fashion bosses in Madrid and Milan have set a minimum body mass index for girls appearing in their shows in an effort to discourage starvation diets and eating disorders.

But bosses at London Fashion Week - which is now in full swing - have refused to follow suit. Eliana's death will add to the pressure on the industry.

The sisters' devastated family said Luisel, 20, had been told she could "make it big" if she lost a "significant" amount of weight and was "under much pressure and stress".

It appears her sister followed in her footsteps after collapsing at the home she shared with her grandmother.

She was found dead in her bedroom in her Montevideo home in Uruguay on Tuesday. A police source said: "The primary diagnosis is death due to symptoms of malnutrition."

Her grandmother, who discovered her body, wept: "This has happened to me twice. The girl would not wake up. I went into the house and saw her eyes blank and her knees tucked up."

Several months ago Eliana, who was 5ft 7in tall, weighed 8st 10lb and had a BMI just over the minimum 18 set by Madrid fashion bosses.

But recently she had apparently been losing weight rapidly...
Link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/te...in_page_id=1811
M. Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2007   #2
MelanieW

Default Re: Anorexia victim's sister dies; both models

The news just keeps getting sadder and sadder. It amazes me that the fashion industry doesnt realize that the dominant impression it is now creating is not that of a dream-factory, or even of a little club of eccentrics, but of a contemptuous and unfeeling industry that is actively doing harm to the young women of the world - killing them, in fact.

The British newspaper The Sun mentioned the death of the second Ramos sister from starvation in a new article, in which it also revealed that most U.K. citizens support the ban on underweight models.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007070757,00.html

Excerpt:

Quote:
AN overwhelming majority of Brits back The Sun’s Anti-Size Zero campaign and want skinny models BANNED, a new survey reveals.

A massive 86.5 per cent of those polled believe skeletal girls should NOT have been allowed on the London Fashion Week catwalks this week.

Slamming the trend for ultra-thin models, they blamed designers for not taking more responsibility...

“There has yet to be any convincing message as to why this has not been done and organisers are now paying the price in respect of negative coverage.
I am certain that the North American public feels exactly the same way - if anything, more so.

How many more deaths, before something is finally done? Before a curvier, healthier standard is set in place? Before the worship of deathly emaciation ends?
MelanieW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2007   #3
HSG
Administrator

This is like a nightmare that keeps getting worse. The fear is that as these deaths accumulate, the public could become inured to them. But think about it: these are actual human lives that are being lost, and for no reason at all, except because the fashion industry has an aversion to a healthy, full-figured appearance, and prefers the sight of walking cadavers. (With the mounting list of fatalities, it is tragically no longer an exaggeration to refer to straight-size models in those terms.)

These model deaths have finally given a "face" to the countless thousands of anonymous anorexia victims who perished over the years, and to whom the fashion industry never paid a second thought.

It is all so unnecessary. These young women shouldn't be dead. They should be enjoying life--going out with friends, discovering the world, eating whatever they want, and as much as they want. They had their whole futures before them. Fashion should never have become the cause of pain for them, let alone led to their demise. Rather, it should have been a wonderful diversion, one indulgence among many, something to heighten their femininity, and augment their beauty.

And fashion never would have become the reason for their deaths, if the world's designers celebrated a timeless ideal of womanly appearance, and presented their wares on models with generously curvaceous figures, rather than on models who are so utterly starved that they need medical certificates simply to confirm that they are not in danger of passing away within the hour.

The alternative exists--ready and waiting. A growing number of young plus-size models have emerged who have the beauty and the talent to create just the kind of aspirational, idealized imagery that the fashion industry understandably wishes to produce, and that the public wishes to see. However, with their womanly figures, these models can give the public an aspirational ideal that is comfortable and healthy, that will uplift them, and make them feel better about themselves, rather than destroying their self-esteem.

It would be the easiest, soundest, most logical change in the world--the decision to replace the androgynous standard with the timeless ideal. Even the mass media is recognizing the need for such a change, and a growing chorus of voices is calling for it to happen. One wishes that the fashion industry would make this change on its own, but sadly, external pressure increasingly seems necessary to bring it about.

Either way, once this change finally occurs, it will restore beauty to a culture that has long yearned for its return, and the regret will be that it took so long for it to happen, at the cost of so many lives.

Sumptuous Christina Schmidt (Wilhelmina); test image by Fadil Berisha:

HSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2007   #4
Stacy

This is so sad... I became anorexic at age 12. I had always been highly influenced by fashion magazines and the fashion industry. I started begging my mom to buy me Harper's Bazaar and Vogue at age 7. I planned to work as a model or in some other capacity in the fashion world. In short, I nearly killed myself. At my lightest, I weighed 89 lbs. and had lost nearly all of my hair, had heart arrhythmias and many other ravages from starving. I still saw myself as much too large and wanted to diet more (I had even been advised to do so by a modeling agent who said my hips were "too large") when my mother and other family members did an "intervention" that saved me.

Right now, I am age 34, a wife and a mother of two. I am at the natural weight that my body seems to rest at without dieting. I still am plagued by self-image problems. I no longer read fashion magazines and try to avoid programs like "America's Next Top Model" as they are "triggering" to me.

I want to say thank you to everyone on this site. I come here to read the posts and am inspired to believe that I am beautiful, accepted and really okay. The plus-size models I see here are so much more beautiful than the stick-like figures in Vogue. They are an inspiration.
Stacy is offline   Reply With Quote