The Judgment of Paris Forum

Go Back   The Judgment of Paris Forum > 2005-2012 > 2005: July - December
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th August 2005   #1
Emily

Default ''The Romantic Road'' (at Lane Bryant)

I think Lane Bryant has been feeling somewhat left out of this season's Old World campaigns. I just noticed a new page at the site with the title, "The Romantic Road" (which is an obvious reference to the famous tourist route in southern Germany).

http://lanebryant.charmingshoppes.c...g.asp?pageid=43

It's nice to see, but it doesn't beat an actual romantic setting, like the one in the company's spring campaign. And while Ljubenka is very pretty, it's very disappointing to see images in which she doesn't look even faux-plus, but truly like a straight-size model.

Of all companies, Lane Bryant really should be using visibly full-figured models. If the images aren't going to look even slightly plus, what's the point of using models this size at all? You might as well just use waifs. This won't satisfy anyone -- certainly not customers.

But I did smile when I caught the reference to "The Romantic Road." Would would have thought that for Fall 2005, Romanticism would be in season? I hope this is just the beginning of a movement towards Old-World-themed campaigns.
Emily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2005   #2
HSG
Administrator

Default Die Romantische Straße

For those of you who may not be familiar with the term, "The Romantic Road" is Germany 101--the most touristed part of the country, rivalled only by the Rhine, and possibly by resurrected Berlin.

And there is a good reason why it is so popular--why hordes of travellers from around the world visit this region, year round. It most certainly warrants its "Romantic" designation (except, of course, in "Romantic solitude"), with its lush fields, dark forests, castles, cathedrals, and medieval half-timbered houses.

It really is that beautiful, it really is that magical--and enchanting, and wondrous, and unforgettable.

For the first-time visitor to Europe (and especially, for families bringing their young ones) many of the destinations on this route are bona fide must sees--and none more so than fabled Neuschwanstein, the towering castle upon which Walt Disney modelled the faux palaces in his theme parks.

Some useful introductory Web sites to the region may be found here and here (the latter being much more comprehensive, but also plagued by the self-abnegating tone that is a staple of most official German tourist sites).

No matter what your age, no matter what your interests, a visit to the sites along Germany's "Romantic Road" is the experience of a lifetime.

HSG is offline   Reply With Quote