JLo runway show - two notes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Melanie W. on February 15, 2005 at 01:05:52:

Even though I wish those supposedly curvy media stars like JLo and Beyonce acutally WERE curvy, I have to admit that they do SOME good.

I applaud JLo for sometimes using plussize models to promote her clothing, and hey, the chocolate statue of her was a *very* cool idea.

I found two interesting comments relating to her new designer line and runway show. In this story -

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=765&ncid=1597&e=3&u=/nm/20050210/people_nm/life_fashion_dc

the writer talks about how the fashion elites are skeptical about JLo as a designer. But one analyst gave a different opinion, which I think is very important -

"Fashion analyst Irma Zandl said Lopez may be in better touch with customers than many haute couture designers.

"By focusing ... so exclusively on small sizes and super trendy styles, the fashion industry is ever so close to becoming at best, a spectator sport, at worst, totally irrelevant," she said."

I dont mind "trendy" stuff, depending on the trend, but the warning about fashion focusing "exclusively on small sizes" is significant. I hope the fashion elites pay attention.

There was also this story about the JLo show, saying that an actress named Bernadette Peters was one of the celebs who planned on attending -

http://www.newsday.com/news/printedition/newyork/nyc-nyfash124143498feb13,0,2807850.story?coll=nyc-nynews-print

"Peters was still mulling whether to fight the crowds at Lopez's collection, saying it was probably worth it because Lopez "has a great body and is probably designing great clothes for women."

"Lopez's frocks are intended for more curvaceous bodies, and Peters isn't all that full-figured. "But I'm Italian, so I have that butt," she said"

Now, what I like about that quote is that it is maybe the first time I have ever read a statement about how a "cool" designer is making clothes that are "intended for more curvaceous bodies".

This idea comes up a lot here at this site, but Ive never read it in the mass media before.

It is also new to hear a writer say that a celebrity could be TOO THIN to wear the stuff from that hot new clothing line, and then, to have that celebrity drawing attention to any trace of curves she might have, to validate her ability to wear those cool clothes.

This is the first hint of what I hope will be a real curve-preferring turnaround in the fashion world.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL : Link Title : Optional Image URL:

If you press "Preview Message," you are taken to a preview screen where your
message is shown to you before allowing you to post it.
Your message is not finalized until you click "Post Message".

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

HWForums.com Message Forums
Copyright © 2001 HighWired Internet Innovations Inc. All rights reserved.