"Cooking fed my soul"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by HSG on February 20, 2005 at 23:19:42:

In Reply to: An interesting article posted by Lara on February 20, 2005 at 21:48:00:

Thank you ever so much for posting that item. It really is quite wonderful, and subversive in the subtlest of ways.

You have to love the jokes in the piece, such as

She had to make the [full-figured] cookie cutter herself, because in Hollywood, obviously, no such mold exists.

and the reference to the actress whom the model encountered in Saks, whose adherence to the "death aesthetic" was so complete that she looked "like someone just dug her up."

It's also quite refreshing to read an article in which the concepts of family and tradition are presented in such positive ways. When was the last time that you read something in the popular press featuring statements such as:

"I come from a long line of cooks and grew up with a treasure trove of good, old-fashioned American recipes that I got from my mom and grandma."

Usually, the mass media ignores or disparages these elements, just as it commonly slights the venerable distaff arts (for arts they surely are), such as cooking and needlework.

Big points go to Lane Bryant for the promotional plans that the article mentions--i.e., to give away Ms. Dineen's cookies in a pre-Oscar event. After all, there isn't a single actress in tinseltown who wouldn't benefit tremendously from a hearty dose of baked goods. One possible name for this nourishing event springs immediately to mind:

"Famine relief."

But the best statement in the article comes from Ms. Dineen herself, who reveals that once she decided to reconnect with her mother's traditions,

"Cooking fed my soul. It gave me what I needed to go on in other endeavors"

Who knows how many women worry about about the psychological emptiness that they feel in their own lives, when that sensation may largely be due to the physical emptiness that they feel, because of their self-imposed starvation.

*Sigh* This article also reminds us that in her only published interview, Shannon Marie confessed a tremendous fondness for baking desserts--further proving that cooking and beauty do go hand in hand . . .

And finally, one has to admire the "wholesome sexiness" of the image that accompanies the article, which is a marvellous expression of the "new femininity"--in more ways than one:

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL : Link Title : Optional Image URL:

If you press "Preview Message," you are taken to a preview screen where your
message is shown to you before allowing you to post it.
Your message is not finalized until you click "Post Message".

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

HWForums.com Message Forums
Copyright © 2001 HighWired Internet Innovations Inc. All rights reserved.