"Stop dieting, start dating"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Melanie W. on February 27, 2005 at 18:59:05:

In Reply to: Eating disorders prevention posted by HSG on February 24, 2005 at 15:27:30:

It sounds like a great slogan, right? I saw it splashed across the cover of UK Cosmo, Feb 2005. Im pretty skeptical about magazines like these, but I remember how UK Cosmo did that one, great, really positive piece about plussize models a few years ago, so I thought lightning could strike twice, and I took the time to look, especially since it seemed to be supporting the "do something more interesting than dieting" idea.

Unfortunately, most of the issue is a mixed message - and worse. The positive tag lines are just used as bait. They lure the reader in, while most of the articles recommend different types of starvation. And the magazine as a whole is everything the book Spin Sisters talked about - heavy-handed politics, playing up fear stories, etc.

Still, there was one tag line I really liked, in a story called "What men really think of what you eat" -

"Diets, food fads and phantom allergies... he would rather you just ate that dessert".

Nice. And its true, in my experience. Too bad the rest of the issue couldnt be this positive.

By the way, "better things to do than dieting" comes up at an eating disorder site in a new campaign they have called "Get Real". It has a powerful picture, which I will try to post, and a list of ten ways to start loving your body. Here are my three favourites -

-"Remind yourself: Life is too short to waste time hating your body!"

-"Enjoy your favorite meal without feelings of guilt or anxiety over calories and fat grams."

-"Throw out the diet products in your house (e.g. fat-free cheese, diet pills, the scale)."

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL : Link Title : Optional Image URL:

If you press "Preview Message," you are taken to a preview screen where your
message is shown to you before allowing you to post it.
Your message is not finalized until you click "Post Message".

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

HWForums.com Message Forums
Copyright © 2001 HighWired Internet Innovations Inc. All rights reserved.