Re: The three stages of body love

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Emily on March 09, 2005 at 02:20:22:

In Reply to: The three stages of body love posted by HSG on March 08, 2005 at 06:39:38:

The suggested categories can definitely apply to companies or groups as well as to individuals.

I'm sure I won't be the first person to compare the self-image of the plus-size fashion industry as a whole to the self-image of its individual customers.

Like many of us, individually, the plus industry as a whole really needs to acquire more self-confidence, more sure-footedness, a genuine belief in its own aesthetic, and in the beauty of its customers.

The minus-size fashion glossies have no hesitation about putting their own aesthetic on a pedestal, to the exclusion of all else. They may not come out and say that they are about "skinny celebration," but they so obviously are. Every fashion article, every makeup tip, advocates ways to look skinner and skinner -- as much like the rail-thin girls they worship as possible.

The plus-size fashion industry must learn to believe in itself the same way. It needs to *show* that it adores womanly curves, and not just pay lip service to this idea. Just as Anna Wintour thinks that waifs are attractive *because* they are visibly skeletal, so plus-size fashion needs to believe that plus-size models are gorgeous *because* they are visibly full-figured.

And I think the industry needs to develop a thicker skin about criticism, too. All the complaining in the world about anorexia hasn't made the Vogue/Elle mags budge about their aesthetic -- and it never will. Their belief in their own aesthetic, their love of it, is too strong. Full-figure fashion needs to feel the same about about plus-size beauty, and become its stauch champion, no matter what anyone says against it.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL : Link Title : Optional Image URL:

If you press "Preview Message," you are taken to a preview screen where your
message is shown to you before allowing you to post it.
Your message is not finalized until you click "Post Message".

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

HWForums.com Message Forums
Copyright © 2001 HighWired Internet Innovations Inc. All rights reserved.