Shaping society

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Melanie W. on March 14, 2005 at 00:39:13:

In Reply to: Opposing forces posted by HSG on March 13, 2005 at 01:03:51:

I think the main reason why "restaurant and retail" companies should find a way to work together is to win the media war, and create a more size-positive environment - and stop letting the body haters define the culture.

What I find really disgusting is how the weight-loss exploiters have tried to recast themselves as the defenders of "health", when THEY are the ones who are causing women to make themselves sick trying to torture themselves into an unnatural shape.

I think the increased attacks on plussize beauty are due to the fact that the old mind-control tricks of the diet industry (the fashion magazines and their androgynous ideal) dont work as well as they used to. People are finally seeing through those illusions. So now, the attacks on plussize women are becoming louder and more desperate.

Someone finally has to give the public an alternative to the media that the body-haters control. We can do our part as individuals, but only when some group or groups with enough resources to match their publicity campaigns ad-by-ad, magazine-by-magazine, deliver a real message of body love, will the monopoly they have on dominant ideas about weight and beauty ever change.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL : Link Title : Optional Image URL:

If you press "Preview Message," you are taken to a preview screen where your
message is shown to you before allowing you to post it.
Your message is not finalized until you click "Post Message".

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

HWForums.com Message Forums
Copyright © 2001 HighWired Internet Innovations Inc. All rights reserved.