Curve envy

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Emily on March 28, 2005 at 16:53:12:

In Reply to: The mirror of beauty posted by HSG on March 28, 2005 at 08:25:07:

It's an intriguing theory, and it's hard to refute. If timeless beauty is a more intense kind of beauty, it stands to reason that it would inspire equally intense reactions.

But just as it povokes feelings of envy in some, I think it generates a feeling of inspiration in others. For example, I find Christina Schmidt's beauty and confidence, which are so apparent in that dramatic image, very inspiring. And that, I think, is why the history of Western art is filled with images of full-figured goddesses: the painters were inspired to paint, at least in part, by their reactions to the beauty of the curvaceous women of their own time.

On a related note, I just read an article about a high-school student named whose dream it is to create a plus-size fashion label called -- get this -- "ENVY" (!). I don't know how good his designs are, but the name is perfect. Here is a snippet from the article, and a link:

The Lake Wales Charter High School student, who competed in entrepreneurship, has dreams of starting a clothing line called "Envy" for full-figured women.

Judges studied Marquez's drawing and designs Sunday.

"I've been drawing since I was 5 and one day I started drawing outfits," he said.

Two years ago his drawings turned into a business idea. If he wins, he hopes to jump-start his company.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL : Link Title : Optional Image URL:

If you press "Preview Message," you are taken to a preview screen where your
message is shown to you before allowing you to post it.
Your message is not finalized until you click "Post Message".

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

HWForums.com Message Forums
Copyright © 2001 HighWired Internet Innovations Inc. All rights reserved.