Re: Prom and prejudice (and its been a while for me...)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Shey on April 09, 2005 at 18:57:47:

In Reply to: Prom and prejudice posted by HSG on April 09, 2005 at 05:10:32:

I may not be around often (if at all, though I do come back to read! Never fear that I am not too far away from this site. I just hardly have the time to sit down and truly reply with my thoughts)...

But this hit home. And it's a Saturday. All chores are done, all books and papers read and written! So here I am coming out of lurking...

When I went to prom the choices I had were slim to none. The choices we (curvaceous women) did have were shapeless column-esque gowns. The colors were dull and listless. What was all this about? A conspiracy? I could walk into any store that carried fancy gowns and they had beautiful fabrics, beautiful silhouettes, beautiful this and that -- but all the sizes they had ranged from 0 to 10. They perhaps had two styles that were above a size 12. I wanted to cry. My friend who was a size zero tried on half a dozen gowns each time we visited a store, and I would sit back and watch.

I was so disgusted with the fashion world I went to the local fabric store to look at patterns. Fine! If I cannot find a dress, I will make myself one...
I didn't know how to sew. How silly of me. So that lovely idea didn't go far. (But, I suggest for any girl who knows how to sew, or has the patience to learn, look into making your own statement! Defy the fashion world this way. Create your own piece of heaven with fabrics and designs of YOUR choice.)

But I guess I just hadn't looked hard enough. (I stopped looking to be honest...frustrated as I was) then one day I found a dress. It was a vibrant royal queenly purple, empire cut. The gown hugged my hips. The bodice had an intricate beading woven through it - and did I say it was dangerously low cut? My goodness! I felt dangerous wearing it. I slipped on some heels and I was ready for the "ball" so to speak... I took charge as I walked into my prom. And no matter what you wear, always hold your head up high and take charge. Show people your confidence, and you will be the belle of the ball. It's that simple.

I still like to look at gowns whenever I go into a store. I try one on occasion if I actually find my size... they still do not make that many choices. But I saw color this season. I saw more colors other than black... and black. Perhaps thats a start?

I bought a dress not too long ago for a wedding I am going to. It's... sexy to say the least. I was afraid it wouldn't be proper, but the bride said it was perfect! It has a panel across the stomach below the chest that mimics "bare" skin. Low cut. Hugs my hips once more. Again I am ready to step in... I don't plan to outdo the bride mind you ;) but I plan to hold my own. To be confident and sure... what any woman should do. Whether you are going to the prom, to a friends wedding, to anything! :)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL : Link Title : Optional Image URL:

If you press "Preview Message," you are taken to a preview screen where your
message is shown to you before allowing you to post it.
Your message is not finalized until you click "Post Message".

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

HWForums.com Message Forums
Copyright © 2001 HighWired Internet Innovations Inc. All rights reserved.