''Soft in all the right places''

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by HSG on April 13, 2005 at 22:45:36:

In Reply to: ''Plus-size vitality'' posted by Emily on April 13, 2005 at 20:55:32:

That's wonderful to hear. "Plus-size is positive" is a venerable idea at this site, and it is gratifying to know that others are beginning to concur.

One of the intentions of this Web project, and of this forum in particular, is to cultivate a size-celebratory rhetoric, free from the anti-plus bias that permeates the dominant discourse of the mass media.

We endeavour to do so by curtailing the use of offensive terminology (as discussed in the recent essay, "The Three Stages of Body Love"), by offering more favourable terminology in its place, and by restoring the original meaning of terms that have been misused and misinterpreted by a curve-o-phobic culture.

(Addition-Elle's "Make a Statement" promotion deserves praise as a similar effort.)

Another example of curve-friendly rhetoric comes from the pen of R.W. (who can identify herself if she wishes), a student at Berea College in Kentucky, who wrote to us the other day, to inform us of a broken link on one of our Web pages, and to offer the following words of gratitude for plus-size models:

I love having these incredible images of gorgeous women my size to look it. I love fashion and being a beautiful woman who is "soft in all the right places" as I tell my guy friends. It is difficult to keep my own beauty in view when I am bombarded with images in magazines and movies of women who are rail thin.

"Soft in all the right places." What a beautiful sentiment indeed.

To help visualize the idea contained in this phrase, we offer readers a new Crystal Renn gallery, featuring many of her loveliest images of the past two seasons. With her gorgeous arms, shapely legs, and curvceous midriff, Crystal is undoubtedly "soft in all the right places," as R.W. puts it, and a beacon to countless women her age who yearn to see fashion exhibited on models with proportions similar to their own.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL : Link Title : Optional Image URL:

If you press "Preview Message," you are taken to a preview screen where your
message is shown to you before allowing you to post it.
Your message is not finalized until you click "Post Message".

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

HWForums.com Message Forums
Copyright © 2001 HighWired Internet Innovations Inc. All rights reserved.