Congratulations!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Emily on May 02, 2005 at 01:53:01:

In Reply to: Christina Schmidt wins Best Actress Award! posted by HSG on May 01, 2005 at 23:58:49:

Next stop -- the Oscars (I hope).

I am so delighted that Christina won. I was hoping she would, of course, but I naturally expected the award to go to an American actress, just because of showbiz "politics." But these awards obviously managed to look past nationality, and also managed to reject the skinny-worship of the big studios, and gave the award to someone who is both pretty and talented. That in itself is a hopeful note for the future.

An Amercian friend of mine tells me that Degrassi runs round the clock on a US network called The-N (Nickelodeon). This means that a lot of young boys and girls are having their ideas of beauty influenced by seeing Christina play a plus-size model on the show. I bet this will do a lot of good, and will help the next generation of young girls be even freer about body image than today's teens and twentysomethings - who are already freer than their parents' generation were.

Maybe Christina *can* finally break the Hollywood glass ceiling for curvy ingenues. I certainly hope so!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL : Link Title : Optional Image URL:

If you press "Preview Message," you are taken to a preview screen where your
message is shown to you before allowing you to post it.
Your message is not finalized until you click "Post Message".

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

HWForums.com Message Forums
Copyright © 2001 HighWired Internet Innovations Inc. All rights reserved.