The sleeping princess

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Emily on May 05, 2005 at 18:35:09:

In Reply to: A fairy-tale for our time . . . posted by HSG on May 03, 2005 at 19:07:07:

With her coal-black hair and fair skin, the Torrid model really does appear to be a Snow White come to life. And I agree that as she grows her hair out, she becomes even lovelier.

I have always enjoyed the more literary aspects of fairy tales, and their history. I've read that the original folk sources of the Grimm tales were even darker and -- sometimes -- bloodier.

I find it interesting how often the motif of the sleeping princess waiting for an awakening recurs. It is similar to the tale of Siegfriend awakening Brunnhile, famously used by Wagner in the Ring cycle. It argues that these stories may have a common source.

My favourite tale was always "Little Briar-Rose," which Disney filmed as "Sleeping Beauty." And in this one case I think Disney enhanced the story, by adding the stunning visual element of the dragon-slaying at the end. And that of course brings the tale even closer to Wagner and his sources......

Anyone who deprives their children of these tales misses out on giving them a powerful catalyst for the imagination, I think.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL : Link Title : Optional Image URL:

If you press "Preview Message," you are taken to a preview screen where your
message is shown to you before allowing you to post it.
Your message is not finalized until you click "Post Message".

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

HWForums.com Message Forums
Copyright © 2001 HighWired Internet Innovations Inc. All rights reserved.