Re: ''The magic word''

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Melanie W. on May 07, 2005 at 00:50:56:

In Reply to: ''The magic word'' posted by HSG on May 06, 2005 at 03:56:09:

I now have a case of language envy. How awesome is it that at least SOME languages have such amazingly size-positive terms - but how sad that ours does not.

The article actually mentions TWO words that turn media ideas about body image upside down. The first is the word that means -

"to become well" = "to gain weight"

If we had a word like that in our vocabulary, I bet a lot of media hype about weight and epidemics would be impossible.

And of course the other word has immediately become my favourite in any language, the verb that means -

"to become more attractive" = "to put on weight"

I was thinking about an English equivalent, and we just dont have one.

"To curvify" is a real verb, but it may or may not carry the idea of beauty with it.

I was thinking about creating a verb like "Torridize", but it sounds too much like a weather condition. And I think most people would associate it with spicing up a plussize wardrobe ("Dont accessorize - Torridize"), and not the act of becoming curvy/beautiful in itself.

"Goddessify"? It would convey the whole idea, but it sounds awful on the tongue. It would never catch on.

If we had such a positive vocabulary to work with, it would make deprogramming people from anti-plus propaganda a lot easier.....

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL : Link Title : Optional Image URL:

If you press "Preview Message," you are taken to a preview screen where your
message is shown to you before allowing you to post it.
Your message is not finalized until you click "Post Message".

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

HWForums.com Message Forums
Copyright © 2001 HighWired Internet Innovations Inc. All rights reserved.