Re: ''The beauty of a woman's arm . . .''

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Emily on May 13, 2005 at 17:27:12:

In Reply to: ''The beauty of a woman's arm . . .'' posted by HSG on May 12, 2005 at 22:29:12:

It's interesting how seeing images of "plus-size beauty" (which is not my favourite phrase, but I do agree that it is probably the best one we have in English, since we lack that magical Russian verb!) can make timeless customs understandable, once again.

I showed this post to a friend, and he told me that he was immediately enlightened about something that he had never understood before:

Do you remember that old tradition -- which is now almost a movie cliche (one even sees it in Warner Brothers cartoons) -- in which a "French lover" takes the arm of his beloved, and plants a series of kisses on it, from the hand all the way up, past the elbow, even on the upper arm?

He told me that this image always seemed odd to him. Did people actually do that in "real life," he wondered?

And if you think about the kinds of arms that women in the media usually have, repulsively thin and unhealthy-looking, it's understandable why this arm-kissing custom seemed strange. I mean, what's appealing about kissing a bone?

But then, he said, when one looks at the sensually curvy arms of a plus-size model, the whole tradition makes a great deal of sense. Instead of something comic, it now seemed very.....romantic.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL : Link Title : Optional Image URL:

If you press "Preview Message," you are taken to a preview screen where your
message is shown to you before allowing you to post it.
Your message is not finalized until you click "Post Message".

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

HWForums.com Message Forums
Copyright © 2001 HighWired Internet Innovations Inc. All rights reserved.