The silent majority

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Melanie W. on May 17, 2005 at 21:33:00:

In Reply to: More Beautiful: The Interview, Part II posted by HSG on May 15, 2005 at 06:24:33:

I think two more points from the interview deserve to be highlighted. And whatever happens with this magazine, this interview is a very important text.

One - and this is an ironic thing to say on a forum, I know - is the point about surveys and public feedback. The kind of people who fill out surveys and post on forums do not necessarily represent everyone who might buy a fashion magazine. It is the old idea of the silent majority. A lot of people might buy a fashion magazine who just are too lazy (or busy, or even shy) to do a survey, or express their thoughts publicly.

And there is often a big difference between what people say, and what they want, deep in their hearts. When Mode was around, there were a lot of pointless criticisms of it right from day one. But now looking back, it seems the magazine got it right, esp at first.

Two - and again, this is ironic of me to say - but I think it is true that a man might have a perspective about this topic that a lot of women will not. I bet some magazines deliver mixed messages because this reflects the conflicted feelings that their creators have about size - either their own size, their daughters size, or women of size in general.

Maybe it really takes someone who is distanced from the subject, and who has NEVER been called overw***** or f**, to deliver a completely size positive message.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL : Link Title : Optional Image URL:

If you press "Preview Message," you are taken to a preview screen where your
message is shown to you before allowing you to post it.
Your message is not finalized until you click "Post Message".

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

HWForums.com Message Forums
Copyright © 2001 HighWired Internet Innovations Inc. All rights reserved.