Re: An indifferent Figure

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Melanie W. on May 22, 2005 at 17:39:27:

In Reply to: An indifferent Figure posted by HSG on May 22, 2005 at 01:00:44:

I have almost given up on magazines - although I have my fingers crossed for Beautiful.

Actually, I will give any plus magazine that debuts at least a fair shot, but my patience isnt what it used to be.

I browse through the magazines on the shelves sometimes, and I am still mostly disappointed. Take Glamour. It tries to be positive, from time to time, but it is still too little, too late - and too marginal.

In the issue of Glamour right now, you have a great bit of fashion advice saying: dress fitted, not loose, and go for flared skirts instead of pencil looks. Great advice, right? But its only lip service. It is only one small pic, while the magazines big, beautiful fashion/makeup layouts are still exclusively the same size-small models.

Why? There is no reason for it.

And the cover claims Debra Messing will attack Hollywoods "weight police". Dont believe a word of it. In the article, she sounds more like she is accepting their criticisms than attacking them. At no point was she ever "huge". (What a laugh.)

As for Figure, it lost my trust with its very first diet ad, and weight-shame story. It would have to adopt a very different tone of being pro-plus, to ever get it back. It can sometimes create a beautiful image, but that image does little or no good if it is coupled with a mixed message.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL : Link Title : Optional Image URL:

If you press "Preview Message," you are taken to a preview screen where your
message is shown to you before allowing you to post it.
Your message is not finalized until you click "Post Message".

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

HWForums.com Message Forums
Copyright © 2001 HighWired Internet Innovations Inc. All rights reserved.