Re: Beautiful: The first skirmish . . .

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Melanie W. on June 06, 2005 at 05:23:12:

In Reply to: Re: Beautiful: The first skirmish . . . posted by M. Lopez on June 04, 2005 at 18:06:25:

The reason ad companies can get away with behaving like this is because no one ever calls them on it. It all takes place behind the scenes, in closed-door meetings, and no one ever hears about it.

Im glad someone finally brought this to light.

Its actually quite frightening to think of how much power an organization like this ad agency exerts. People deride propaganda as social engineering, but how is this agency doing anything different? All it takes is one CEO, or a few highly-placed individuals who have an ideological bent - like a prejudice against full-figured women - and they can decide exactly what gets published, and what doesnt, what the public sees, and what it wont - and in general, how the culture is shaped.

I agree wholeheartedly with this point in the magazines response:

"The fact is that 95.52% of our readers are more likely to purchase products from manufacturers/advertisers that support a magazine
featuring Beautiful 14+ women. Ultimately they are prepared to ignore brands that only pay lip service to them."

I DEFINITELY make every effort to support companies that have size-positive advertising, and not support thost that dont. For example, if I need a skirt, and I can get it from one company that uses true plussize models, and one that doesnt, Ill go with the one that does, every time.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL : Link Title : Optional Image URL:

If you press "Preview Message," you are taken to a preview screen where your
message is shown to you before allowing you to post it.
Your message is not finalized until you click "Post Message".

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

HWForums.com Message Forums
Copyright © 2001 HighWired Internet Innovations Inc. All rights reserved.