Re: Shapely, or shapeless?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Melanie W. on June 24, 2005 at 06:19:34:

In Reply to: Shapely, or shapeless? posted by HSG on June 23, 2005 at 19:44:29:

"many people unwittingly equated the formlessness of the clothing with a perceived formlessness on the part of the wearer. Full-figured women were never shapeless--but their clothing was, and that shapelessness was transferred to the wearers themselves."

That is such an important point. I wonder how many people realize that sack-like clothing does something WORSE than just disguise your shape. It does create an impression of a shape - an unattractive shape, a matronly shape.

I almost think this kind of clothing was a conspiracy started decades ago by some designer or magazine editor who was tired of losing boyfriends to curvier rivals, and decided to get her revenge by turning ideals of beauty upside-down. And since then, the fashion industry has just gone along with it, because no one ever called them on it - until now.

Christina looks gorgeous, as always, and Kaylie looks very pretty as well. I think her hairstyle was more romantic and eye-catching in her video, but the pale blue looks great on her. Terrific expressions too - her polaroids put a lot of other models' tear sheets to shame.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL : Link Title : Optional Image URL:

If you press "Preview Message," you are taken to a preview screen where your
message is shown to you before allowing you to post it.
Your message is not finalized until you click "Post Message".

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

HWForums.com Message Forums
Copyright © 2001 HighWired Internet Innovations Inc. All rights reserved.