a.k.a., ''I dared to feel like a goddess''

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Emily on June 27, 2005 at 01:03:11:

In Reply to: ''I dared to become a plus-size model'' posted by HSG on June 26, 2005 at 04:46:31:

In the television series Designing Women, the character of Suzanne Sugarbaker, played by Delta Burke, was always presented a very self-confident, even vain, but never in a mean-spirited way. The writers preserved this character trait even after Delta Burke became much fuller-figured (and, I think, more attractive).

The show finally did an episode that dealt with Delta/Suzanne’s weight gain, and what was most significant about that episode was this -- the heavier Suzanne never viewed herself as anything less than perfect until her peers and acquaintances began to make negative remarks about her appearance. It absolutely was a form of “dictatorship by society.” Everyone around Suzanne was implicitly suggestion that she wasn’t viewing herself the way that she was supposed to -- that is, with the proper humility. In effect they were saying, “You are not *allowed* to feel like a goddess.” And the show essentially ended with her “falling in line,” perception-wise.

I couldn’t help but wish that Suzanne had retained her original self-image, rather than submitting to the pressure of her peers. And Sandrine’s story, of someone who begins with a self-image that is dictated by media standards, but who breaks free of that and acknowledges a goddesslike view of herself, is a bit like the Suzanne story, but in reverse. I find it quite subversive -- wonderfully so. And Sandrine's favourable view of her own beauty is certainly justified.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL : Link Title : Optional Image URL:

If you press "Preview Message," you are taken to a preview screen where your
message is shown to you before allowing you to post it.
Your message is not finalized until you click "Post Message".

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

HWForums.com Message Forums
Copyright © 2001 HighWired Internet Innovations Inc. All rights reserved.