Gabrielle: The American Tour

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by HSG on June 02, 2004 at 13:12:20:

It may not possess the box-office draw of a nationwide concert series by one of today's popular music divas; however, a plus-size model is currently on tour across America, jetting from one destination to another, meeting fans and signing autographs.

The experience has even afforded her a "tear sheet" like none other:

Yes, that really is an SUV with an enormous headshot of Gabrielle Taber painted on its side. But it is not a computer-generated mockup, nor is it a testament to the excessive devotion of one of Gabrielle's rabid fans. Such an SUV actually exists. In fact, there is a whole fleet of these vehicles.

Due to the continued absence of an all-encompassing plus-size fashion magazine, retailers have been forced to devise novel approaches to marketing their wares. And surely one of the most interesting efforts comes in the form of the Just My Size "Fit Tour," which may be coming soon to a Wal-Mart new you.

To promote a new line of Just My Size unmentionables, the company has launched a fleet of Gabrielle-emblazoned SUVs manned by teams of JMS representatives, who travel across America to various Wal-Mart stores, creating promotional displays and interacting with customers. At some stopovers, these teams are joined by Gabrielle herself, who acts as the company spokesmodel--meeting the public, fielding questions, and signing pictures (i.e., big blowups of that lovely SUV headshot).

As the name of the tour implies, the ostensible purpose of the promotion has something to do with "fit." Anyone who is genuinely interested can find more information at JustMySize.net. Note how the promotion uses the language of political insurgency in a tongue-in-cheek manner, which is by equal turns silly and clever.

According to the schedule, Gabrielle will be in the towns of Clinton and Madison, Mississippi, today, and will appear in Winder and Athens Georgia on June 10th.

C.E.D. model Courtney Hanneman is one of the Just My Size field agents involved in this promotion, and she may be kind enough to share some amusing anecdotes of the experience, once her leg of the tour is complete.

No word yet on whether General Motors plans to offer a "Gabrielle package," complete with eye-popping door mural, as an option on its 2005 models. We have it on good authority, however, that at least one admirer has contacted Just My Size about purchasing one of the company's Gabrielle Tahoes after the promotion ends.

In our own opinion, JMS should provide their signature model with at least one such vehicle to keep for herself . . .

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL : Link Title : Optional Image URL:

If you press "Preview Message," you are taken to a preview screen where your
message is shown to you before allowing you to post it.
Your message is not finalized until you click "Post Message".

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

HWForums.com Message Forums
Copyright © 2001 HighWired Internet Innovations Inc. All rights reserved.