Re: "I am not invisible"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lara on June 20, 2004 at 19:01:04:

In Reply to: "I am not invisible" posted by HSG on June 20, 2004 at 16:11:55:

Your points were excellent. However, I must add that for the women who are in their late twenties and thirties, there was no plus-sized industry to give them advice, positive or negative, for the majority of their lives.

All that existed until a short while ago was the regular media and straight-size fashion magazines, and those magazines certainly never encouraged anyone to display their curves. The only body parts to be 'fashionably' shown were those totally lacking in any trace of roundness.

In fact, the rest of the magazines were devoted to telling people who had any trace of roundness how to get rid of it, so that they could acceptably wear the baring fashions displayed elsewhere in the magazine.

In addition, in the media, plus size women have traditionally been invisible - the background figures, the friend, etc.

As nobody is ever sure what anyone else is thinking, all plus size women knew of what people, men or women, notice, is what they were told. So if the magazines and the media are telling a woman that the thin women are being noticed while the plump women aren't, then that is what she will believe to be true.

Almost certainly, the women who don't believe that are those who have people telling them that they are beautiful and noticeable as they are.

I think that is one of the lovely things about this site - it is people who are saying "you are noticeable, and your curves are beautiful" - and many women need to hear that, in order to develop the confidence to show rather than hide (and be ashamed of) their curves.

So, thanks.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL : Link Title : Optional Image URL:

If you press "Preview Message," you are taken to a preview screen where your
message is shown to you before allowing you to post it.
Your message is not finalized until you click "Post Message".

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

HWForums.com Message Forums
Copyright © 2001 HighWired Internet Innovations Inc. All rights reserved.