Mary Kate Olsen

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Melanie W. on June 24, 2004 at 04:58:18:

It was all over the news today about Mary Kate Olsen going into treatment for anorexia. I hope she gets better. While theres always the danger that stories like this can lead to "copycat" incidents, I think its important that the this is widely reported. The media never seems to pay attention to anorexia unless a celebrity is involved, but at least some of the coverage today was about the devastating effects of the THIN IS EVERYTHING message, especially on young girls.

The tragic thing about Mary Kate is that she is both a victim of the tyranny of skinny, AND part of the cause. Girls see pictures of her on all the teen magazines, and think they have to look just like her - and ruin their health by trying.

But hopefully by publicizing her illness girls will realize that this is NOT a path to follow, and maybe parents will think twice before trying to force their daughters to diet.

Most importantly, I hope that at least SOME reporters start rethinking their fanatical anti-size prejudice. Maybe if girls had some role models who DIDNT look as thin as Mary Kate, things like this would happen less often.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL : Link Title : Optional Image URL:

If you press "Preview Message," you are taken to a preview screen where your
message is shown to you before allowing you to post it.
Your message is not finalized until you click "Post Message".

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

HWForums.com Message Forums
Copyright © 2001 HighWired Internet Innovations Inc. All rights reserved.