"Icon fatigue"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chad on October 12, 2004 at 15:44:12:

Here's a recent article from The Globe and Mail which is interesting in light of the discussion about Christina Schmidt. The writer talks about "icon fatigue" and how people are REALLY getting sick of Nicole Kidman and other A-list celebrities with their stick-thin frames. Hear, hear!

The thing I disagree with is how the people quoted still seem to acknowledge Kidman and her ilk as "perfect" and "beautiful". They are NOT. What people are really sick of is the Hollywood kind of FALSE perfection - the brittle sort of looks that people know in their heart aren't "beautiful" at all. There's nothing "perfect" about being malnourished, and nothing beautiful about looking like a cadaver (as so many celebs do) - except in the eyes of the media elite.

I would love to see a world in which actresses like Christina, and the plus-size models that we all love, were the true icons of natural beauty - as they deserve to be.

Best quote -

"To me, the A-list are people who have no purpose other than to provoke sexual anxiety in the mass populace. How can I be more like Nicole Kidman? I must embrace the beauty and/or diet industry."

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL : Link Title : Optional Image URL:

If you press "Preview Message," you are taken to a preview screen where your
message is shown to you before allowing you to post it.
Your message is not finalized until you click "Post Message".

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

HWForums.com Message Forums
Copyright © 2001 HighWired Internet Innovations Inc. All rights reserved.