What they don't want you to know

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kaitlyn on December 18, 2004 at 07:08:47:

In Reply to: posted by HSG on December 17, 2004 at 06:41:28:

Very pretty image. I always admire lingerie pictures that have a touch of innocence about them, whether you achieve it with a big comfy sweater half-on & half-off (think Barbara in Mode), or with playful expressions (Valerie for Vassarette), or with a "girly" touch like a feminine detail. And simultaneously, it's refreshing that we're beginning to see models shoot lingerie who actually look a little bit plus. Still just a little, unfortunately, but it's getting better.

I'm not a fany of Kelly Osbourne, but I admire her rejection of weight loss. On that topic, I found an article that's pretty informative, called "10 things the diet industry doesn't want you to know". It's not as positive as it should be, but at least it exposes some myths, like----

1. Most weight-loss product ads are deceiving, so don't believe everything you read.
2. 'Scientifically proven' or 'doctor-endorsed' doesn't mean it works.
3. Testimonials are not a good indicator of a product's success.
4. Just because the government allows it on the market doesn't mean it's safe or does what it claims.
5. Don't believe everything you hear.
6. 'Natural' or 'herbal' doesn't guarantee safety.
7. Fad diets don't work.
8. It will cost you.
9. Don't count on the 'money-back guarantee.'
10. There is no magic bullet.

I'll post the link here, if someone wants to read the whole thing, but let me paste the text of Myth#2 in full, which is the most damning, I think.

Remember this over the holidays, and enjoy yourself, without any unnecessary guilt---

2. 'Scientifically proven' or 'doctor-endorsed' doesn't mean it works.

Many products claim to be tested at "respected," "major" or "leading" medical centers or universities. Yet, rarely is the information provided on where the study was conducted, by whom or where it was published to help consumers assess the validity of such claims.

Plus, when a product claims to be "recommended" or "approved" or "discovered" by a health professional, what does that really mean?

"Often there's no scientific evidence behind Dr. X's claims," notes Dr. George Blackburn, a member of the government-sponsored Partnership for Healthy Weight Management and assistant director of nutrition medicine at the Harvard Medical School.

And often the endorsements fail to disclose that the health professional doing the recommending has a financial interest in the product, or that he or she may not have reviewed the scientific evidence. Even if it was reviewed, he or she may not have used acceptable review standards.

And, says Cleland, "The 'professionals' can be fictitious."

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL : Link Title : Optional Image URL:

If you press "Preview Message," you are taken to a preview screen where your
message is shown to you before allowing you to post it.
Your message is not finalized until you click "Post Message".

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

HWForums.com Message Forums
Copyright © 2001 HighWired Internet Innovations Inc. All rights reserved.