Angelo Asti

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Emily on January 03, 2005 at 02:19:38:

I thought it might be interesting to share a couple of images by Angelo Asti, an Italian painter and illustrator whose images of beautiful women were wildly popular at the turn of the last century, right at the same time that Lillian Russell postcards were all the rage.

You can see from these images that Asti's women closely resemble Lillian. There's no doubt that this represented the ideal of its day.

Asti's beauties all have full and rounded facial features, fair skin with just a hint of blush, soft shoulders and no visible clavicles, and long flowing hair. In other words, they resemble today's most gorgeous plus-size models. My first thought is Christina Schmidt, but Shannon Marie, Valerie, Megan, and Charlotte C. all have similar looks.

This one is my favorite, which is called "Marguerite," and I've linked another image below. Marguerite has a serenity about her, and the kind of rosy hue you only get from NOT starving, ever. But she also has tremendous self-possession, which I admire very much. There is no "meekness" here, but consciousness of her own allure.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL : Link Title : Optional Image URL:

If you press "Preview Message," you are taken to a preview screen where your
message is shown to you before allowing you to post it.
Your message is not finalized until you click "Post Message".

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

HWForums.com Message Forums
Copyright © 2001 HighWired Internet Innovations Inc. All rights reserved.