Re: "The fairer sex"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Emily on January 06, 2005 at 05:19:57:

In Reply to: posted by HSG on January 04, 2005 at 08:43:44:

I always wonder how much of our aesthetics are controlled by money. *Much*, I'm sure. The tanning industry is big business today, and people spend a fortune on looking "brown". They wouldn't, if those kinds of images weren't placed in front of their eyes, 24/7.

But if you can clear those magazine images out of your mind, you begin to see how beautiful the "fair look" really is.

I wanted to share this painting here. It's called "Reverie" by another turn of the century artist/illustrator named Emile Vernon.

This painting says everything about timeless beauty as I've seen it here. The lady has that natural kind of Shannon Marie/Christina Schmidt/Valerie Lefkowitz roundness that just takes your breath away. She looks like she is completely comfortable with herself, and never starves herself to change her appearance. Why would she?

The dress is just a bit daring, but innocent as well. It reminds me of the dress that was on display in the Boston Museum exhibit that I posted about a while ago. It's dreamlike, but it's not all that different from some of the most imaginative clothing that's being made now, like some of the prettier formal or prom dresses. I could see a designer being influenced by it---updating it a little, but using it for inspiration the way fashion uses couture creations for inspiration, just simplifying them a little.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL : Link Title : Optional Image URL:

If you press "Preview Message," you are taken to a preview screen where your
message is shown to you before allowing you to post it.
Your message is not finalized until you click "Post Message".

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

HWForums.com Message Forums
Copyright © 2001 HighWired Internet Innovations Inc. All rights reserved.