Re: Advertising in the alternative reality

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Graham on January 18, 2005 at 05:16:35:

In Reply to: Advertising in the alternative reality posted by HSG on January 09, 2005 at 20:27:53:

Whenever I see images such as this, or the better examples of advertising from plus-size fashion retailers, which turn our very flat and boring world upside down, I stop for a moment, close my eyes, and try to imagine how the world would look if curves and beauty were the norm, not the exception.

I can see it in my mind's eye quite clearly. Films with curvaceous starlets. Magazines with plus-size models. Writers extolling the vitues of womanly figures. An explosion of beauty bringing water to a parched world. A complete upending of the dominant, dehumanizing aesthetic we all live with.

I can see it so clearly. And then I open my eyes, and it's not there. And I am amazed that *everyone* doesn't take whatever steps they can to bring that world about.

Whether it's a Victorian-styled music video, or a fashion campaign that looks like it was created by poets and painters rather than ad executives, everyone can do *something*.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL : Link Title : Optional Image URL:

If you press "Preview Message," you are taken to a preview screen where your
message is shown to you before allowing you to post it.
Your message is not finalized until you click "Post Message".

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

HWForums.com Message Forums
Copyright © 2001 HighWired Internet Innovations Inc. All rights reserved.