''Plus-size vitality''

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Emily on April 13, 2005 at 20:55:32:

As a kind of follow-up to the Kate Beciknsale articles, which took customarily negative phrases and situated them in a positive context, here's a little something that I thought I would share with the forum.

The noted writer Saul Bellow passed away recently, and although I wasn't really a fan, I was reading an article about him, which I have linked, and the article contained the following statement:

"Saul Bellow's novels--even his sentences--draw much of their plus-sized vitality from being several things at once."

I did a double take when I read those words. How wonderful to see the term "plus-sized" equated with "vitality." This is the first time I have ever seen "plus-sized" used in a positive way, outside the context of the modeling world.

It's really quite encouraging. Maybe people are starting to give the phrase a favourable connotation. And that would fit in nicely with the idea of "plus-size beauty" as a heightened kind of beauty, a more intense, more alluring, more *vital* kind of beauty.

I hope this marks the beginning of a real change.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL : Link Title : Optional Image URL:

If you press "Preview Message," you are taken to a preview screen where your
message is shown to you before allowing you to post it.
Your message is not finalized until you click "Post Message".

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

HWForums.com Message Forums
Copyright © 2001 HighWired Internet Innovations Inc. All rights reserved.