Re: 2005: The Year of the Goddess

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Emily on January 02, 2005 at 00:16:42:

In Reply to: 2005: The Year of the Goddess posted by HSG on January 01, 2005 at 18:17:29:

The article was wonderful, and I find the sentiments encouraging. But I specifically want to express my appreciation for that bridal ad. That's the better way to use men in women's fashion advertising than what's been out there, lately.

I admired Valerie's and Megan's Figure covers from earlier this year for many reasons, but partly because the men in those covers looked elegant and debonair, and didn't steal any attention away from the models. Rather, they complimented their beauty.

I intensely dislike images in which men look like outtakes from trashy "skin" magazines. Just as I think we all prefer images of plus-size models that are classy (which is *not* to say boring) rather than tasteless, so should the men in fashion photography look elegant rather than vulgar. It reflects better on the plus-size models, and on the fashions they're wearing.

And the images don't have to be especially formal, either. I remember a fine tear sheet showing Ashley Graham eating an ice-cream bar with the "groom" of the layout. That was a fun photo, but it still had class.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL : Link Title : Optional Image URL:

If you press "Preview Message," you are taken to a preview screen where your
message is shown to you before allowing you to post it.
Your message is not finalized until you click "Post Message".

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

HWForums.com Message Forums
Copyright © 2001 HighWired Internet Innovations Inc. All rights reserved.