Page from a magazine of the future

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by HSG on May 25, 2005 at 17:40:01:

The image featured below is not a Judgment of Paris creation, nor is it a digital revision, nor a parody, nor edited in any way.

And despite the title of this post, it is not in fact a page from a magazine of the future, teleported back in time from a more size-positive decade to the present day.

No, this is the real thing.

It is a page from the May 2005 issue of British Cosmopolitan magazine. And the title, as you can plainly see, is:

"Skinny girls' weight-gain plan"

Believe it or not.

And if you think that the title is too good to be true, then just listen to what the eponymous "skinny girl" of the article has to say about her aesthetic predicament:

I'm always getting comments about how thin I am. I'd really like to put on some weight so I look and feel better.

Ladies and gentlemen, it is a sign of real progress when young girls begin realizing that they can and will look better if they augment their dress size.

This is a complete inversion of diet-industry propaganda, and a significant step towards the revival of the timeless aesthetic of beauty, in which the fuller female figure was preferred over the underweight frame.

What is equally significant about this article is the fact that a mass-market glossy actually published it, in the first place. They would never have done so, if they hadn't thought that this girl's case representated the feelings of many of their readers.

The article is quite obviously British (who eats "porridge," apart from Dickensian orphans?), but it would still be worth distributing to every model (straight-size and faux-plus alike) who is signed with a New York agency . . .

It is fair to say that most attempts at combating eating disorders fail because of a significant misunderstanding of human motivation. Young girls will not stop starving themselves for health reasons, or for political reasons, or even through family pressure. But they will do so if they believe that by becoming more curvaceous, they will look better than they would if they were thin.

Hopefully, this page indicates that society in general will soon come to this aesthetic realization.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL : Link Title : Optional Image URL:

If you press "Preview Message," you are taken to a preview screen where your
message is shown to you before allowing you to post it.
Your message is not finalized until you click "Post Message".

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Judgment of Paris ] [ FAQ ]

HWForums.com Message Forums
Copyright © 2001 HighWired Internet Innovations Inc. All rights reserved.